Re: (TFT) idea from diablo II

grabowski wrote:
> Megahexes are pesky when it comes to 10'x10' hallways.  In one part of a
> megahex hallway you can get three abreast and in another part only two.
> This definitely benefits defenders and makes the use of megahex hallways
> BLECCCH!  The only way I see you can do a 10'x10' hallway is to run the
> hallway on an angle two hexes wide.  How does everyone else handle this HEX
> dilemma for combat?

Yep, they're annoying.  We also run hallways 'with the grain' of the hexes,
using half-hexes if, say, something intersects at a 90 degree angle.  We use
a three-hex-wide path for a 10' corridor.  Really, we generally use a hex
sheet and don't bother with megahexes hardly at all anyway, since we
calculate missile range penalties with the codex formula, and allow a
wizard to put the center of a megahex spell in any hex within range
(kind of silly not to.)  I've experimented with squares; it works well
except that things get kind of weird with greater-than one hex
creatures--assuming you allow diagonal facings and movement.  (And if
you're not going to allow facing on a diagonal your facings are so
limited that the squares seem kind of pointless, IMO.)