(TFT) TFT Labyrinth Adventures (was TFT Quest)

Hey, all!

Here's my first, very rough cut on the TFT Quest rules (which I have
renamed TFT Labyrinth Adventures).  I'll post more as I get time to work
on it.  Feel free to comment to the list or directly to me at:
mailto:amerlock@execpc.com

Also, feel free to take this and run with it!  After all, if it's here,
and not owned by HT or GW, it's public domain!

My goal is that all the cards will be business-card sized, so that I am able
to take advantage of those pre-perforated business card sheets for common
printers (thus, all the references to the game book).  I also plan on
"producing" cards, floorplans, and tokens and will post them on my (currently
non-existant) website in .PDF format.

Tony Merlock

TFT Labyrinth Adventures
Version 0.00 09/22/2000
Written By Anthony Merlock

This document is the beginning of what I hope is a fun supplement for
The Fantasy Trip game by Metagaming.  It is loosly modeled after the
Games Workshop game "Warhammer Quest".

I hope to write this document in a generic enough sense that it avoids
any copyright infringement on either The Fantasy Trip or Warhammer Quest,
and will gladly accept any help in language or terminology to assist
in this goal.

I am officially placing my portions of the TFT Labyrinth Adventures in the
public domain.  Do whatever you want with it.

I offer no warranty, and am responsible for no damages resulting from
use or mis-use of this document.

TFT Labyrinth Adventures is an adventure boardgame which makes use of the
Fantasy Trip role-playing game by Metagaming.  TFT Labyrinth Adventures is
not a complete game.  You must own a copy of The Fantasy Trip in order
to play.

Game Components:
TFT Labyrinth Adventures has the following components:

Game Booklet
The Game Booklet contains the rules to using this accessory, as well as
extended description of chambers, monsters, quests, and treasures.
The Game Booklet should be printed out on plain paper.

Chamber Cards
The Chamber Cards are cards that contain a description and picture of a room,
corridor, cavern, or other 'place'.  It contains a brief description of this
chamber, and possibly a reference to a paragraph in the Game Booklet that
contains a more detailed description.  Each card also may contain icons
that indicate that the specified chamber contains an Encounter or a Treasure.
One Chamber Card merely contains the wording 'Quest Chamber'.  Drawing this
card means that the chamber the adventuring group is attempting to enter
is the final Quest Chamber, and that the Quest Chamber encounter should
be played.
To use these cards, the player draws a card, and lays out the associated
floor plan.  This is the Starting Chamber, and any encounters or treasures
in this chamber are ignored.  Tokens indicating the adventurers are placed
at one entrance to this chamber, which signifies the exit from the game.
If this first card is the Quest Chamber card, the card is placed back in
the deck, the deck is re-shuffled, and another card is drawn as the Starting
Chamber.
Once the adventurer tokens are placed, the Game turn begins.  If the chamber
is empty of encounters, or an encounter was won, the adventurers may simply
choose an entrance to travel through.  These entrances are all blocked by
a "curtain of darkness" which can not be seen or scry'd through.  Once the
adventurers choose the entrance, a Chamber Card is drawn, and the associated
floor plan is put into play at that entrance.  Placement rules require that
an entrance on the new floor plan must be directly connected to the entrance
that the adventuring party traveled through.  If the floor plan can not be
placed without overlapping another floorplan, the "curtain of darkness"
indicates a gate, which transports the adventurers to another place.  Place
the floorplan off to the side, and indicate the gate with Gate Tokens.
Gates may be traveled through both ways; however, when traveling through a
gate (after the initial passage), roll a D6.  On a 6, the gate transports
the adventurers elsewere - draw another chamber card, and place it to the side,
and continue adventuring from there.
If the chamber card has an Encounter Icon, draw an Encounter Card, and set
up and play the encounter as specified on the card, and in accordance with
the rules on Encounters.
If the chamber card has a Treasure Icon, and the encounter was concluded in
the adventurers' favor, draw a treasure card and gain treasure in accordance
with the description and rules on the card, and optionally in the Game Book.

Quest Cards
A Quest Card describes a chamber with only one entrance.  This chamber is
special, because it contains the "goal" of this adventure.  For example,
the card might show a chamber, and say "The princess was captured, and is
being held in this room.  Rescue her from her captors to earn 1000 coins".
The card will also contain 'victory conditions', which, when met, indicate
that the game was won.
If the description or rules for the quest will not fit on the card, there
will be a reference to detailed rules in the Game Book.
A Quest Card will either have a fixed encounter, or will indicate that
you should draw one, two, or more encounter cards.  A Quest Card will have
either a fixed treasure, or will indicate to draw zero, one, or more Treasure
Cards.

Encounter Cards
An Encounter Card will contain a written description, special Labyrinth
Adventures game rules, and references to specific Fantasy Trip game rules
that apply to the encounter.  An encounter may be a monster, a group of
monsters, a trap, or "something else".  If the encounter is too large
to fit on a card, the card will reference a paragraph in the Game Book which
contains more details on the Encounter.

Treasure Cards
A Treasure Card will contain a written description, special Labyrinth
Adventures game rules, and references to specific Fantasy Trip game rules
that apply  to the found treasure.  If the treasure is too detailed to fit
on a card, the card will reference a paragraph in the Game Book which
contains more details on the Treasure.

Floorplans
Each Chamber and Quest card will contain the illustration of a chamber.
The game accessory will contain Fantasy-Trip compatible floor plans
for each of these chambers.  They will be geomorphic, and able to be placed
together in order to play out the adventure with Fantasy-Trip compatible
playing pieces.

Tokens
Tokens illustrating the treasures from the treasure cards, creatures from
the encounter cards, and gate indicators will be provided.