(TFT) Learning to GM

    More stories from Jr High

I learn from watching other GMs, but not directly. I learn from watching their players. The reactions they have, and the directions they want to go in. The year is 1978. We just made a big pitcher of Liptons? Iced Tea and we sat down to play some D&D. Darryl McReary was the GM (It was his house), and each of the players had a lot of henchmen. We encountered a green dragon. Someone had read about ?subdue? so we tried it out. We subdued the dragon and then tried to make it a follower. Darryl rolled for reaction, the dragon defied us, and fought to the death. In a word, we were disappointed. The other players were hot for that dragon. The wanted it. They wanted to ride it, make it breath on things, and impress villagers when they returned to town. I waited till after the game and asked Darryl, ?why didn?t you let us have the dragon?? He said ?Why don?t you DM Mike?? I had never thought of running before. The next weekend I ran, and it was my first time. The players encountered a green dragon and subdued it. It capitulated and became a follower. The players were immensely pleased. How many characters could ride on its long snaky form at once? They went out and had special saddles and saddle bags made for it. And it breathed chlorine gas! A walking, flying, controllable chemical spill. They players loved it. It was what they wanted.

    David Michael Grouchy II