Re: Re: (TFT) Ty's New TFT Campaign -- Swords 'n Space

From: <srydzews@ix.netcom.com>

> anthony merlock wrote:
> > to summarize: relying on armor to prevent guns from being
> > the weapon of choice is somewhat problematic because
civilians
> > won't wear armor, and because DS flechettes will cut through
> > 'soft' armor  [apologies if I'm over-simplifying]
>
> Well...maybe.  If your armor is some sort of super-kevlar,
> then these objections might be a problem.  If you're assuming
> something more along the lines of 'the innocuous fabric that
> instantly becomes incredibly rigid and strong when hit at
> high velocity', then maybe not.
>
> The wonder fabric could be light and airy enough to make
normal
> clothes out of, and it would be just as effective against
> flechettes as against normal bullets.  Now, granted, the idea
> of a jogging suit that stops rifle bullets just is a bit 'out
> there' but if the alternative is to go to man-portable force
> fields (a la Dune) then I think I can squint hard enough to
> make it work.

Me too. And my proposed wonder stuff is just an enhanced version
of Kevlar.

> And since it's activated by the impact of things at bullet-
> velocities, you have a pre-made reason why it doesn't stop
> swords and thrown hatchets and whatnot.  This is a good thing
> because you want the armor to be of relatively little use
> against such attacks, however kevlar, spectra, and the like
> actually do have considerable value against cutting weapons.

I can't seem to get a consensus on that. I've heard that it's
both effective and ineffective (from credible sources in bith
cases) vs edged weapons. Do you have a source I can check?

> And as far the soft armor stopping lasers and gyrojet
> HEAT warheads, well, um, it probably wouldn't, but
> these are probably more firepower than mere thugs
> can get ahold of. (yes, waving hands and squinting a
> little harder now...) That sort of firepower is what
> the military armor is made to stop.

Effective HEAP warheads require sufficient warhead diameter to
achieve good penetration. I'm personally skeptical that a 9mm
HEAP round will be any more effective than a normal bullet. In
any case, one could postulate the development of a flexible
material that disrupts the HEAP jet ala Chobham armor -- though
much less cheaper and lighter.

--Ty Beard