Re: Re: (TFT) Ty's New TFT Campaign -- Swords 'n Space

anthony merlock wrote:
> to summarize: relying on armor to prevent guns from being
> the weapon of choice is somewhat problematic because civilians
> won't wear armor, and because DS flechettes will cut through
> 'soft' armor  [apologies if I'm over-simplifying]

Well...maybe.  If your armor is some sort of super-kevlar,
then these objections might be a problem.  If you're assuming
something more along the lines of 'the innocuous fabric that
instantly becomes incredibly rigid and strong when hit at
high velocity', then maybe not.

The wonder fabric could be light and airy enough to make normal
clothes out of, and it would be just as effective against
flechettes as against normal bullets.  Now, granted, the idea
of a jogging suit that stops rifle bullets just is a bit 'out
there' but if the alternative is to go to man-portable force
fields (a la Dune) then I think I can squint hard enough to
make it work.

And since it's activated by the impact of things at bullet-
velocities, you have a pre-made reason why it doesn't stop
swords and thrown hatchets and whatnot.  This is a good thing
because you want the armor to be of relatively little use
against such attacks, however kevlar, spectra, and the like
actually do have considerable value against cutting weapons.

And as far the soft armor stopping lasers and gyrojet
HEAT warheads, well, um, it probably wouldn't, but
these are probably more firepower than mere thugs
can get ahold of. (yes, waving hands and squinting a
little harder now...) That sort of firepower is what
the military armor is made to stop.

(Now if it's Star Wars and even the thugs have blasters,
then I think I've passed my squintability threshold.  At
that point maybe it's time to haul out the personal force
fields if you don't want to see the swords go back on the
shelf.)