(TFT) TFT: Re: Dave's timing

Justin writes . . .

>Realistically, I believe the five second time frame is correct for
>the drawing and "preparation" of the weapon for use.  So the time
>scale is somewhat close to realistic.  This is the one thing that
>irritated me with GURPS.  In "one" second, a person could move a
>short distance, dodge, parry, and block incoming attacks, and still
>attack with their weapon.

   Yeah, that was a problem with Car Wars as well -- effectively each turn
was 1/10th or 1/5th of a second.  There was even a Murphy's Rule about it.
   Looks like I'll say no to zero-time weapon draws then -- which then makes
Fast Draw something useful to learn.

>As for the range chart, fix it for the e-mails by using spacing rather
>than Tabs and then we can talk.  It looks interesting BUT it is hard to
>decipher.

   Sorry about that.  I have the same problem with others' scrambled charts,
and I myself end up just ignoring them.  Here's a prettier one:

RANGE TABLE
Range                 Detection
MH/hexes    Penalty   Distance
0           0         0
1           -1        1
2           -2        2
3           -3        3
4           -4        3
5-6         -5        5
7-8         -6        7
9-11        -7        10
12-16       -8        13
17-23       -9        19
24-32       -10       27
33-45       -11       38
46-64       -12       54
65-91       -13       76
92-125      -14       110
126-190     -15       150
191-250     -16       210
251-350     -17       300
351-500     -18       420
501-700     -19       590
701-1000    -20       840
1001-1400   -21       1200
1401-2000   -22       1700
2001-2800   -23       2400
2801-4000   -24       3400
4001-4500   -25       4800
4501-8000   -26       6700
x1.4        -1        x1.4

>As far as combat rules go, TFT is one sided when it comes to the
>attacker.  I have added parrying and shielding rules that I have
>created of have modified from the list entries.

   Sounds interesting.  Last year I subscribed to the theory that better
weapon skill allows one to /defend/ better more than attack better, which is
probably why a sword battle between two masters takes so long (at least in
the movies).  My own reality testing shows that it's easier to attack
someone with a melee weapon than it is to defend against such an attack,
which made me think of having characters make defense rolls instead of
attack rolls in combat.
   Are your parrying/shielding rules on the web or in the archives?  Did you
send these to me . . ?  I don't remember for sure.

Pfc. Dave Seagraves   101st Airborne Division
Texas Military Historical Society (WWII reenactors)
Sniper squad forming to defeat the krauts -- join us!
1 (512) 835-7527   http://members.aol.com/txmhs