Re: (TFT) Unarmed Combat V

It looks to me like those exotic weapons (with the exception of guns) suggest that difrent fighting styles are best described by skills. I read from the list that there are 4 implied cultures in Cidri; Oriential (Naginata, Nunchucks and Sha-Ken) Aboriganal (Blowgun, Boomerang and Spear-Thrower) Gladiator (Cestus and Net & Trident) and weirdest of all Cowboy or Vaquero (Whip, Lasso and Bola (gun?)) And there's that pesky Net AND Trident bit. It's not 2 weapons but it's not one weapon either. Maybe that's a way to handel shields. Sword and Shield as a seperate skill, Spear and Shield as a seperate skill, etc. I'd think your right about the Chi with magic.

So is Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon a fair repersentation of UC V? UC VI? Or
would it take something more?

Jay

I would call the chi powers used in Crouching Tiger Et. al. To be magic. Or, TFT can be adopted to Chi by using magic. In TFT terms the heroes of the movie were warriors with spells. Maybe vice versa. In some super hero campaigns I have let heroes get spells and talents at cost. No doubling or 3pt spells. I think most of the chi powers shown could be covered by TFT spells, down to the weapon poison and the magic sword. Here are some old house rules about warrior abilities that spells don?t quite cover. Crouching Tiger. . . I think, was mandarin. Unfortunately the names below are Japanese.

Iajutsu(2) 10IQ The much practiced ability to draw out of the sheath and strike with a sword (traditionally katana) in one fluid motion so that the unsheathing and the attacking are indistinguishable. One can ready and use the sheathed weapon in one turn. This may only be done with one handed weapons.

Katana     2+1   Japanese bastard sword
Katana     2+2   two handed damage
Wakazashi  2-1   Japanese ?companion? sword

Yadomekutsu(2) 13IQ Literally means ?arrow cutting?. Character can ?cut? thrown or missile weapons right out of the air the instant before they are in front of the defender. The number of arrows and thrown weapons that may be ?cut? from the air is equal to the number of points the DX roll was made by. For instance a character with a 14DX who rolls a 10 would ?cut? five projectiles down before they could harm anyone. The word ?cut? is used figuratively. Yadomekutsu may be used with a polearm shaft or even a club.

    David Michael Grouchy II