Re: (TFT) Unarmed Combat V

From: "Jay Carlisle" <confused3141@hotmail.com>
> It looks to me like those exotic weapons (with the exception of guns)
> suggest that difrent fighting styles are best described by skills. I read
> from the list that there are 4 implied cultures in Cidri; Oriential
> (Naginata, Nunchucks and Sha-Ken) Aboriganal (Blowgun, Boomerang and
> Spear-Thrower) Gladiator (Cestus and Net & Trident) and weirdest of all
> Cowboy or Vaquero (Whip, Lasso and Bola (gun?)) And there's that pesky Net
> AND Trident bit. It's not 2 weapons but it's not one weapon either. Maybe
> that's a way to handel shields. Sword and Shield as a seperate skill, Spear
> and Shield as a seperate skill, etc. I'd think your right about the Chi with
> magic.

Well, I think Trident is really just a special spear. So, I'd have Net be a
separate skill, with Polearm covering Trident. I think the aspects of
fighting with net and trident don't warrant a special "Net and Trident" skill.
I don't see why you couldn't fight with net and sword, or net and cudgel.
I think the only reason they are combined is because net and trident was
a classic gladiator combo.

BTW, you are forgetting the other two implied cultures: Medieval (most
everything else) and Renaissance European (Main Gauche, Two-Weapons,
Fencing, Guns, and grenades).

I think SJ was going for some level of universality in TFT. I don't think
Cidri actually has all those cultures. At least, I've never seen any
of the Cidri material that used any of the exotic weapons. (Not that our
gaming group didn't use all the weapons, but that was 20 years ago).