Re: (TFT) Slippery Demons

From: "Quite Confused" <Confused3141@hotmail.com>

> But the gargoyles links to another idea:  Couldn't a natural teleporter
> 'port _above_ a target, and fall into HTH?
>
> I would say yes, treating it like a flyer dropping for HTH.
>
> <sigh>  I miss my gargoyles...

On behalf of the people who have to play in that campaign PLEASE stop giving
him ideas like that.

Jay

"Wait a second guys. Where in hell are we going 'exactally'?"
S Doucet destroying yet another campaign.....

 The ?always on? gate.

One person = one activation.
What if they are holding hands?
A 6-Hex long snake would only count as one activation.
Would a rope keep the gate ?open??
If the rule was ?Gate activates for air? I imagine it would never turn off. Is it possible to have an ?always on? gate? In my campaign it is so. The use of activation and deactivation is just for security. Those gates that are supposed to be secret, restricted, or activated by certain celestial events. I use the ?always on? gate a lot. Too much maybe. It simplifies commerce. All trading is done through gates in Branya. They are more reliable. One roll to activate and then it stays on. Gates are used to fill wells with continuos fresh water, ventilate deep mine shafts, and provide refrigeration. One end in the arctic and the other in the meat cellar. Gates are as common in my campaign. As common as magic items are rare, and magic items are very rare. The ?always on? gate is issued by the Wizards Guild and has a rule that it deactivates only if the Wizards Guild decides it should. Unauthorized gates are hunted down and destroyed. A Gate key magic item (to detect and control gates) is the same thing as a police badge. All very dull to the reader I?m sure, and not very TFT either. I stand on GM?s prerogative here. Now to why I brought it up.

After years of playing in my campaign, and never once beating the forces of hell, the players learned that the Dwarves may have dug too deep, and they may have broken into the upper layers of hell, but the actual enterance to hell was a gate. That was why the had never found it before. Not just because they couldn?t get deeper than the third level of the pits without dying (I?m a mean GM to Justin). They had been looking for some kind of crack or crevice, something with sulfur fumes coming out of it, or something with Cerberus chained up outside. They knew the only way to really win the ?war of death with hell? was to seal the breach. Now they just had to destroy the gate. They had already learned (after years of playing) that every chaos creature was just one of their own dead returned from hell. They reasoned that if the breach was sealed then chaos would go back to having a finite number of men. As it stood, killing just added to their total strength. That and the gate would never fail, as it was ?always on?. Now these guys were high powered. One character had invented a 21 IQ spell. Another wizard was wielding Two finely made silver Great Swords. I was having a hard time challenging them anymore (I was young) and I decided to kill all their characters off and make them start over. Low power characters can be more fun. So I made a plan and put it into action.

Lord Aragorn got wind of their information and wanted to finance the adventure that would win the war once and for all. The characters were hot for the deal. They were invited to move into the castle and given positions over the mercenary guilds. For nights Aragorn and his council of advisors planed. When the characters would pop in to the map room they would find cigar smoke, debate, and much planning. Aragorn would look up and say ?We?re almost ready.? They didn?t sleep and had healing potions sent up so they could keep going. This gave the characters a week of game time to get their stuff together, and pick up any supplies they thought they would need. Then one day Aragorn came downstairs in his glowing mithril fine plate and said ?Lets go!? On their way to the Hall of Elven Magic (A.K.A. wizards guild) Aragorn explaind the plan. ?We?re gonna pay the Hall to summon a demon for each one of us, all at the same time. We?re gonna have them tell the demons to ?take us to hell?. From there we will follow the crowds and fight our way to the gate. We will use the gate to exit, and then destroy it from the other side.?

    Breif break for more back ground.  Please bear with.

Shawn Damon Doucet, should have been a Lawyer. He could rape any game rule, and he couldn?t be fooled. We had just met so I didn?t know any better. I let him play on of Aragorn?s UCV followers, so he could sit in on the session. Anyway, the point is he wasn?t even supposed to be playing that day.

The party gets to the Hall of Elven Magic, and Gnarl (Shawn?s character) says ?Wait a minute guys. I mean I understand that no one has found the gate before, and that it will be much easier to find from hell, but where in hell are we going? Literally?? The other players just laughed. They thought he was making a pun. You know. They all had that ?look at the cute newbie? expression on their face. I got nervous. Shawn, a normaly soft spoken and shy person asserted himself. ?No really. Where IN hell are we going. LITERALLY?? They all just laughed again. One guy answered him and said they were going to destroy the gate and win the war, as though he hadn?t been paying attention. At this point I?m thinking to myself, ?this pun may just save my plan?. Shawn, looked down at the table. He took a breath and then looked up. ?Aragorn. Where are the demons going to take us? Specifically.? That tore it. The players were now interested. They made the Wizards summon a test demon first and ask him. Here is the demon?s answer.

?To the infinite plane of fire, where all of you will take 4 points a damage a turn, until you are dead dead, dead.?

They summoned the demons anyway, but instructed them to take them to the gate instead. The gate was destroyed. The war was won. No one died. Did I mention that Shawn shouldn?t have even been playing that day?

    David Michael Grouchy II