Re: (TFT) House Rules: Staves?

Michael Taylor wrote:

> Message text written by INTERNET:tft@brainiac.com
> >The Codex throws us a curve.  It's shaped like a bow.  :)  Which means
> that either a) is the only interpretation, or b) must include the option
> to leave the shape unchanged.  Having serious dislike for wood-paneled
> doors or wooden boxes (possibly containing explosive gems?) that explode
> when touched, and finding little aesthetic benefit to bow-shaped Staffs,
> I chose to ignore the Codex on this point.<
>
> What page of the Codex are you referring to?

Oh man, I hate it when they cross...

Ah, ah...  The very last page that isn't an ad.  "Q.SPELL" in upper
right hand corner, "(3)" at bottom center.

<<
Q: Can STAFF be cast on a Quarterstaff?  bow?  crossbow?
A: Quarterstaff is OK, but only 2+0
   Bow is OK, but -2 DX as a Staff
   Crossbow is NO, the metal prevents it

Now, since you made me quote it, you've got to listen to more mindless
prattle.  :)

Why, I wonder, would a Staff that hits normally when shaped (and
_sized_) like a pencil be -2 DX as a bow?  -2 DX if you're trying for
2+0, maybe.  But you can get that 1+0 from Staff with no DX-.  Who's
going to risk his bow by trying a bash, anyway?

Whatever.  I just ruled that STAFF does _not_ empower random bits of
woodwork.  House Rules follow.  The STAFF spell:
 a) changes the shape of the wood it is cast upon, making it roughly (or
smoothly) cylindrical and of whatever length and proportion the mage
desires.
 b) empowers the wood to do damage when the mage desires.  The touch of
a pencil-sized wand does 1d6.  Bear in mind three such touches are
likely to kill a normal man.  The default form of this damage is
kinetic, a sort of 'thump'.  The mage may also cause his staff to
deliver damage in any other mode he knows by virtue of his studies, so a
mage with Fireball may cause his staff to flame, if desired.
 c) empowers the wood to release its power in an explosion, should
anyone but the mage try to pick it up.  The mage may specifically allow
an individual to touch his staff, but such permission is not lasting;
once released, the staff will explode if touched again.