(TFT) On-Line Chat Role-Playing

From: Michael Taylor <MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: (TFT) Re: Open Letter to a GameMaster
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:12:11 -0400

But what does everyone think of on-line Chat roleplaying sessions?  Has
anyone tried these? It seems to me that because everyone has to be on-line
at the same time (just like if everyone were going to show up at your
house) it would eliminate alot of the problems that plaque PBEM but still
have the convienience of allowing everyone to be at home in different
cities...

Michael

Michael,

I think this is a clever idea.
I would propose a time to do it (like Saturday night 7pm Eastern Standard Time (Washington DC time). It is perhaps not very friendly to the Europeans or the Australians, but per the Player Listing on Brainiac, The midwest seems like the central spot.

I would propose that this be a different e-mail site and not this one so we don't get overloaded with a game on THIS theory and rules site. However, it should be connected to the Brainiac website with an archive so we can see the history posted.

I propose generic characters that the Game Master creates and posts for the session. These could be re-occuring characters and all their stats are posted at the beginning of the game.

I propose that the GM set up the parameters of the session, say 1 full episode that can be done in three hours and set a 3 hour time limit on that game session. GM posts the characters and the opening scenario.

The GM asks who is playing and gets a list of players. He can assign a character to a player or just let the players suggest what should be done with all the characters for that turn.

GM should limit all turn messages to, say, 100 words. This is so the GM can read the 3 or 4 player communications and respond in a timely manner. After say 10 minutes, the GM issues the next turn information. The GM would select the players comments that he feels best fits the situation or seems the most fun.

Since this is a chat situation, GM has a right to refuse anything that he feels would ball up the game in technicalities or scenario destruction.

Those players who have to bail, should make note of it. Any players who arrive late, announce themselves. Lurkers welcome. Any bystanders who wish to kibitz, beware....

I could see this initially being a high demand, totally involving activity for about the first three times, but soon participation would dwindle as activities and life get in the way. However, If this was played on Saturday and then the rest of the week armchair quarterbacking was allowed, those who could not play could still make a contribution.

Perhaps that is even the way it can be done. Every week the GM posts the recap of everyones contribution that week.

Anyway, justs some thoughts on Michael's suggestion.

Hail Melee,

John Paul