Re: (TFT) spell prefixes (vote please)

Personally, I preferred the system of skills that allow modification of spell effects.  I
believe David Seagraves had come up with this, and I took the liberty of suggesting one
or two.  But as far as these spell prefixes...well they're damned dangerous.  Here are
My Opinions on the individual prefixes.  These are only My Opinions, please don't get
mad at me.

> SPELL PREFIXES
> Area Change (IQ 8, Costs 1-2 fST/25%)

Okay, so now you can Dazzle a whole army in one shot...

> Affector (IQ 14, Costs 7 fST)

This one is just silly.  It has no rationale outside of game
mechanics.  I shoot a fireball of...not-fire?

> Chain (IQ 8, Costs 3 fST)

I don't like.  I mean, the whole idea of D&D chain lightning is
based on the nature of lightning.  Now it's supposed to apply
to all magic?  What, Chain Iron Skin on the party before going
into battle?  This is another one that has no apparent rationale
outside of game mechanics.

> Color (IQ 8, Costs 1 FST)

This one I don't mind.  If you combine it with the SPI game Sorcerer,
where different colors have advantages/disadvanges over other colors,
it could get pretty darn interesting.

> Combination (IQ 15, Costs 8 FST).

AD&D Haste for a Wizard.  Given the fST cost, probably not unreasonable though.

> Concentration (IQ 12, Costs 5 FST).

Now what is the point of this?  Since you have to cast the un-interruptable
spell directly after this one, and this one *can* be interrupted, it all
seems a bit silly.  And anyway, what's up with 'interrupting' casting?  This
is TFT, not AD&D.  On the wizard's DX, he casts.  If he gets hit before that,
who cares, unless he gets knocked down or takes a DX penalty.  And this
isn't going to protect him from those side-effects of being hit.

> Extension (IQ 12, Costs 2-3 FST/50%).

Implementing this could get messy, but it's not bad other than that.
I'd think that something which simply reduced the fST cost to maintain
would be simpler.

> Hide (IQ 10, Costs 3 fST). The hide prefix makes any physical
> manifestations of spells totally undetectable.

Now what the heck does this mean?  The summoned giant is invisible and
inaudible?  He doesn't make the floor shake when he walks?  When he hits
people they don't feel it, they just take damage?  What?  The Dazzle spell
can't be seen but still Dazzles people?  How does it Dazzle me then?

> A Confusion spell will be invisible

What in the world does that mean?

> Potency (IQ 8, Costs 1 fst). This prefix makes a spell effects much more
> potent in one of two ways.  The prefix has a cost of 1 fST per one extra
> die of damage, -1 on the saving throw, or -100% magic resistance.

Seven hex fire, plus three ST to make all hexes do 4d6-2 damage.  Er, this
is not a good idea.

> Range (IQ 8, Costs 1 fST). This prefix simply gives the spell following it
> a longer range. The cost is minimal - 1 fST/50% increase in the range.

No problems with this one.

> Store (IQ 12, Costs 5 fST). The prefix store affects a spell so that the
> latter spell will come into effect under the conditions dictated during the
> casting of the spell. ...  it may be "called" out of storage whenever the
> magic-user needs to use it. When so called, there is effectively no casting
> time is involved (0 AP)

In TFT, there are no casting times and no AP's.

> Substitution (IQ 8, Costs 1 fST).

More game mechanics-y stuff.  Why not just allow the characters to just use
gold, or IOUs or Bearer Bonds to substitute for an equivalent value of
material components?  Not that TFT spells generally have material components.

> Target (IQ 9, Costs 2 fST). This prefix allows a spell to be cast at a
> target who is not in sight. The target must still be in range, but may, for
> example, be around a comer where he cannot be seen.

And this works how?  Do you have to know the target's location, or can you
cast a lightning spell to hit "The Evil Wizard Farfel" and it will strike
him whereever he is so long as he's in range?

> Vocalize (IQ 9, Costs 2 fST). The recipient of this prefix can cast spells
> with a verbal component without having to make a noise.

More D&Dish stuff.  Not terrible though.