Re: (TFT) Fatigue Damage?

dwtulloh@zianet.com wrote:

> Hit points are a really useful means to represent the
> defensive skill of the character when they ARE IN A
> POSITION TO USE THAT SKILL.  Unfortunately, D&D kinda
> forgot that aspect of it and so we wind up with the
> "Murphy's Rules" situations of 13th level fighters
> being able to survive falls from any height, requiring
> many, many arrows to kill the character, etc.

I think a better way to represent defensive skill is a 'parry roll', or
some such.  Of course, the fun seems to diminish by the square of the
number of die rolls, so adding such (or having it in the sytem to start
with, like Chaosium's BRP) has its cost.

When I sat down to 'roll my own' game system, I found a way (not
claiming I'm the _first_ to find this way, only that I didn't see any
footprints) to fold the rolls together.  Of course, I had the benefit of
all the work that had been done before me... but it's interesting to
think how much less munchkined early RP might have been if they had
folded a parry roll in, and managed to avoid the 'more, always more, is
always better' trap of representing skill as some ablative quantity.