Re: (TFT) Rolled my own.

Martin Gallo wrote:

> Thanks for sharing that. I also toyed with such a system (using d%)
> and determined that for the 'mathematically disinclined' it was
> unfeasible.

I don't think my approach has a lot of math.  Certainly no more than
'armor class' calculations, or the interactions of various 'flesh'
effects.

The hardest part of it is noticing that you rolled a multiple of your
Parry.  I don't know that I've ever had anybody at a gaming table who
would have trouble recognising that the '12' the attacker rolled was a
multiple of their '6' Parry.

> What is it about our preconceived notions! RPGers seem to hate tables
> and CRTs, but love long winded reference books full of minutia.
> Miniaturists hate CRTs (at least ratio based varieties), but love
> tables and minutia. Wargamers seem to love CRTs, and hate comparative
> dice fests. CCGers hate any kind of randomness except in the shuffle
> of a constructed deck.

Everyone wants to play to what they think is their strength...  the
'Munchkin Instinct', if you will.  RPGers don't want to be reminded of
the rules, certainly not of anything greater than themselves, while
learning that X weapon works better on Tuesdays might give them an
edge.  Miniaturists are a flavor of RPGer, playing a unit rather than a
character.  Wargamers want to know their odds, they want to balance the
risk of losing any particular unit against the damage they can do to the
enemy.  They're playing chess seasoned with chance.  But they don't want
too _much_ chance, it corrupts their beautiful strategy.  :)  CCGers,
for my money, want to see their investment in that Indigo Lotus/Zen
Druid/Phantasmal Snollgoster combination pay off, for their money.