RE: (TFT) d20 System Homage to TFT?

> Ty Beard
>
> I recently purchased D&D 3rd Ed, the "d20" system. You guys may
> have already
> noticved this, but the d20 system's combat system appears to pay
> more than a little homage to TFT.

I noticed the similarity right away.  I could be wrong, but I don't think it
is homage so much as another set of game designers reaching the same
conclusions that Howard made 20 years ago.  I a playtest group for the new
game last year, and I have to say it is a big improvement over the D&D.
Combat flows much more smoothly, though there are a lot more actions and
modifiers to remember than in TFT.

As for d20 replacing all other gaming systems, I don't think there is much
danger of that.  Yes, it will cause a consolidation in the gaming industry.
Yes, it will encourage new development of games based on the d20 System.
However d20's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness - all d20
games "feel" the same.  So far that means heroic high-fantasy.  It has yet
to be seen whether or not it can transition into the more "realistic" feel
of TFT.  If it cannot, then the other systems are safe.

If it can I doubt I'll spend much time mourning.  One system that really can
do it all would be really nice.  I don't thing d20 is it, (and I am not
convinced it is possible), but if it were I'd be it's biggest fan.

What is MORE interesting to me is Open Gaming.  If you could adapt the TFT
ruleset for use under Open Gaming we could finally republish a TFT-like game
(without the trademarks).

-Brad