(TFT) Re: Gurps as in Burps

From: Michael Taylor <MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com>
> Message text written by INTERNET:tft@brainiac.com
> >That was always my turn off about GURPS and one of the major reasons I
> stopped playing it. Think about how many things the normal person can do
> in
>
> "One Mississippi."  In a combat turn, dodge as much as you want, block,
> parry, and ATTACK, I think not. <
>
> Yeah, I always wondered how GURPS could call itself 'realistic' and have 1
> second turns. I think maybe they got all their advice about what was
> "real" from SCA members....

Well, from my fencing days, I know that a parry and an attack take less than
one second. Throwing in a block and a dodge is perhaps a bit much.
Also, if you watch Kendo, they can get 2-3 attacks/defenses in one second.
Jackie Chan has to slow his movements and attacks down so the camera
can follow it.

I don't think the one-second turns in GURPS are any less realistic than the
single attack in 5 seconds that TFT has. That is just way too much time.

---
Brett Slocum  --  slocum@skypoint.com  --  ICQ #13032903
Home page: http://www.skypoint.com/~slocum/
"Ah'm yer pa, Luke." -- if James Earl Ray was the voice of Darth Vader