Re: (TFT) Re: Gurps as in Burps

It sure takes a lot of one second turns to do all that 'staring your opponent down' stuff.

From: Michael Taylor <MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com>
 >That was always my turn off about GURPS and one of the major reasons I
 stopped playing it. Think about how many things the normal person can do
 in

 "One Mississippi."  In a combat turn, dodge as much as you want, block,
 parry, and ATTACK, I think not. <

 Yeah, I always wondered how GURPS could call itself 'realistic' and have 1
 second turns. I think maybe they got all their advice about what was
 "real" from SCA members....

Well, from my fencing days, I know that a parry and an attack take less than
one second. Throwing in a block and a dodge is perhaps a bit much.
Also, if you watch Kendo, they can get 2-3 attacks/defenses in one second.
Jackie Chan has to slow his movements and attacks down so the camera
can follow it.

I don't think the one-second turns in GURPS are any less realistic than the
single attack in 5 seconds that TFT has. That is just way too much time.

---
Brett Slocum  --  slocum@skypoint.com  --  ICQ #13032903
Home page: http://www.skypoint.com/~slocum/
"Ah'm yer pa, Luke." -- if James Earl Ray was the voice of Darth Vader

I practice Ty-Fu, the art of slaughtering what I type.

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."
             Unknown

There's always someone better than you, but you're never as bad as some think you are."
             Rip Torn