From: Brett Slocum

To: tft@brainiac.com

Sent: 9/4/2001 11:13:21 AM

Subject: (TFT) Re: Gurps as in Burps

From: Michael Taylor  MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com

   That was always my turn off about GURPS and one of the major
reasons I

  stopped playing it. Think about how many things the normal person can
do

  in

  "One Mississippi."  In a combat turn, dodge as much as you
want, block,

  parry, and ATTACK, I think not.

  Yeah, I always wondered how GURPS could call itself 'realistic' and
have 1

  second turns. I think maybe they got all their advice about what
was

  "real" from SCA members....

Well, from my fencing days, I know that a parry and an attack take less
than

one second. Throwing in a block and a dodge is perhaps a bit much.

Also, if you watch Kendo, they can get 2-3 attacks/defenses in one second.

Jackie Chan has to slow his movements and attacks down so the camera

can follow it.

I don't think the one-second turns in GURPS are any less realistic than the

single attack in 5 seconds that TFT has. That is just way too much
time.

---

Brett Slocum  --  slocum@skypoint.com   --  ICQ
#13032903

Home page: http://www.skypoint.com/~slocum/

"Ah'm yer pa, Luke." -- if James Earl Ray was the voice of Darth
Vader

body

--- grabowskis@earthlink.net

--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.