(TFT) Rapine, one possible Treatment

"Cas and Lisa (also Silvia, Max & Viveka) Liber" wrote:

> Thorn, Dan & Rick,
> I'm a bit snowed under with assignments - do you guys feel like
> converting/creating any of your fave After Man critters ta TFT - maybe good
> for a postapolcalyptic tribal continent with/without Amerinds & Amerind
> shamen etc.........
> PS: Like the tragor stuff too
> Cas

Assignment taken!

Rapine (from 'After Man, a zoology of the future')
 also: Rat-wolf, Rat-hound, Pack-rat,
 or in Old World Goblin, 'Rhunn', or 'Ree'
 known to the Ancients as the Hounds of Bechlore (Beklor)

ST 7 or 9, wild pack alphas up to +2 more
DX 11 or 13
IQ 6, 7 is possible
MA 12, some breeds and all wild: 14
All Rapine are one-hex creatures.

The Goblins of the Old World fared better than most gate-imported races
in the aftermath of the MageWar.  Clever, and social, and ruthless, they
carved out an empire of sorts, enslaving their hobgoblin kin, and
occupying and scavenging the ruined cities of the humans.  To defend
their empire from other inheritor races, and to war among themselves,
the goblins domesticated the giant rat-evolved houndlike predator
creatures which Archimagus Bechlore gated to the Old World to destroy
the ecology of the Southern Wood.

Two distinct (though interfertile) breeds are maintained by the
Imperium.

The lesser breed ( ST 7, DX 11, IQ 6, MA 12, no armor, bites 1-1, 1-0 in
HTH ) is actually more numerous, kept in much the same role as humans
might keep hunting hounds.  Packs up to a half-dozen are commonly kept,
trained by use of dummies and scent to attack common enemies on sight.
These 'Ree' will seek to engage HTH.  Any individual HTH defender can
only obtain any particular 'defense against HTH' result once per round
(house rule); large numbers of Ree _will_ bring a man-sized opponent
down.

The greater breed ( ST 9, DX 13, IQ 6, MA 12, no armor, bites 1+1, 1+2
in HTH ) are usually kept by the Imperium in mated pairs, rarely in
groups of up to 6.  The most common use of these 'Rhunn' is as mounts
for Red Goblins, or small Greens, typically on missions of scouting and
patrol.  A Rhunn used as a mount has MA 10, but may attain MA 12 for up
to three rounds in twelve.  Nobles of the Imperium might keep large
Rhunn as sport mounts, or as hunting hounds, but Rhunn are too costly to
rear and to train for use as sacrificial cannon-fodder, as Ree are often
used.

Wild packs of either breed are common throughout the southern Old
World.  Wild Ree can be found in packs of up to 12, Wild Rhunn in packs
of up to 8.  No pack grows larger than these numbers, for Rapine will
feed on each other as readily as any prey.  For similar reasons, no
mixed packs exist.

No Rapine makes any sort of vocalization at all.  Rapine may be assumed
to have Silent Movement, and may Track by scent (2d vs IQ).  Mounted
Rhunn or War-pack Ree will not move silently, and Rapine are not used as
trackers by the Imperium.