Re: (TFT) SOLO II

A child is going around running his little con game on people. ``Hey you! hey you! You see that carriage, that tree, and that house? I bet you I can take off my shoes and jump over them. He holds up two silver coins and insists on seeing the money first. Then he takes off his shoes and jumps over the shoes. ``Pay up! He proclaims. The man he is talking to is a little drunk and protests. The child says ``I told you I could take off my shoes and jump over them. Thats what I did. Now pay up. He holds out his hand. The man grumbles, but pays. He then stagers off looking for another tavern. The child goes looking for another mark. The City of New Orleans is shaped like a grid siting on the river bank. This bend of the Mississippi river runs directly east west. The city is a grid of streets. Five running east west, and ten running due north south. This creates city blocks of equal size. Twelve blocks wide along the river, and seven deep going away from the river. The buildings are from two to three stories tall, with balconies as wide as the side walk. It rains a lot in New Orleans. Almost all of the side walks are covered by these wide balconies and supported by iron columns. The balconies are railed with intricate wrot iron in the pattern of vines and leaves. Some of the black railing is curves and Fleur-de-liss. At night the streets pulses with people, the energy of drinking and carousing. The two of you stand out. Some people who are looking to indulge in sin, feel nervous when they see two monk like characters walking toward them. They make way for you. Occasionally you see Ladies of the night working a street corner. They call out to you, offering a discount. A special discount for the clergy. Roget has been sniffing the air, and poking garbage with the end of his pole as the two of you walk along. ``I love this city he confesses. After the two of you have walked the length of the main party street Roget tells you something is bothering him. ``Of all the garbage piles I have poked, not one had a rat. I havent seen a single rat yet. Something is wrong. You look back down the length of Bourbon Street. The black iron lamp poles are flickering with an oil flame. Masses of people are going in and out of taverns. Some are staggering with drink. The night is still young. It will go on like this till dawn. He continues. ``Theres always a rat in a garbage pile somewhere. He shakes his head. There is a drunk man leaning against an iron lamp post. He seems confused and is talking to the post as though it was his date. Roget says ``Well, theres nothing for it. Shall we go into the sewers? The idea doesnt sound appealing but you agree. The two of you walk a few blocks back down Bourbon Street to the intersection of Royal. Down Royal Street you see carriages with dirvers waiting for their patrons to return from the taverns and houses of ill repute. Roget moves to a round iron cover on the side of the intersection. He inserts the end of his pole in a hole in the black lid and starts levering it out of the street. You see some horses tied up outside of a bordello. The same child you saw before it there running his con game on three drunk men. ``You see those horses, that lamp pole, and that carriage? I bet you I can take my shoes off and jump over them. The iron cover clangs to the brick pavement. Roget starts to climb down the hole. ``You ready? The two of you climb down an iron ladder mortared into the brick. You step off at a little stone landing next to a stagnant stream of sewer water. ``Thats very weird. Says Roget. ``I dont hear any of em. He raises his hand for you to be quiet. There is a little light shining down through the round hole above, but not much. Roget speaks with resignation. ``Nothing. Not a peep. He takes his robe off and folds it up. Tucking it into one of the rungs of the ladder he steps into the sewer. Wearing only boots and a loin cloth the water comes up to his mid shins. ``Wait here. He splashed down the tunnel a little then stops. He comes straight back and climbs out. ``This is unbelievable. He takes his net-on-a-pole and skims it through the water. When he hauls it in it has ten or so stiff rat bodies in it. He sets it down and takes one of the corpses out. It is stiff, wet, and shriveled. ``Looks like they were sucked dry. With his thumbs he pulls the fur apart examining the skin underneath. Soon he finds something. Moving directly under the hole above for more light he shows you. Two large puncture marks. ``Lets get out of here. He drops the rat, takes his robe, put it on and scrambles up the ladder. When you get up out of the hole he already has the lid in position and immediately drops it back over the hole. He looks visibly shaken. There is a very loud drunk man shouting. ``I SAID, I want to see you jump over the horses, THE LAMP, and THE CARRIAGE! You look to see the child being held by his upper arm. The three drunk men have drawn knives and look like drunken trouble. The kid nods his head with resignation. The man lets him go. Roget is standing next to you. ``What is this? The child jumps toward the horses. He doesnt stand a chance. Yet somehow he floats up over them, the lamp, and the carriage. He lands softly, turns and takes a bow. The three drunk men have their mouths hanging open. The child walks up to them with his hand out palm up. He wants them to pay the bet. The lead drunk refuses and turns to walk away. The child leaps on the mans back biting at his neck. Eight more children come floating down off of the roofs of nearby buildings to attack the men as well. Its a gang of little vampire children. Maybe with their low strength they were easier to turn than strong adults. As much as you would like to see the drunks get what is coming to them, you mission is to fight vampires. You charge. Roget is a step behind you.

Nine Vampire children

ST: 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 14
DX: 10     Bite 1-1
IQ:  8
MA: 10/10
   [total possible experience: 208]

Three drunk men

ST: 12     Knife 1-1, sword is not ready yet 2D
DX: 12(10)
IQ:  8     Running(2), Sword(2)
MA: 12

\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/c3\__/  \__/c4\__/  \__/
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/c2\__/  \__/  \__/c5\__/  \
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/d2\__/  \__/  \__/  \
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/d1\__/d3\__/  \__/  \__/
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \c1/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/
/  \__/  \__/R \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \

d1-2: drunken men
c1-9: vampire children
R: Roget
L: Lubik

The children will fight fearlessly, except for the holy symbol you are wearing. This will have the same effect as an avert spell on them. They must end each movement phase two turns further away from you than the preceding turn. If one of them is slain they will go berzerk. Roll 3D vs. IQ to see if it works for each child. This gives them DX+2, MA+2, they will not react to injuries, and will fight even at 1 point of ST instead of going unconscious. If, on the other hand, they slay one of the drunk men first they will take the body and fly away with it. To feed on later and to plunder. Roget will try to trap one of the children in his net. He is not wearing a holy symbol and has a high DX so he will probably succeed.

    David Michael Grouchy II