Re: (TFT) hero 3IQ rule and wizards & hero

Pasha and Rick Smith writes:

> 	Saying that wizards and fighters can ALL buy
> talents and spells at regular memory cost has a real
> advantage in the simplicity department.  There have been
> other role-playing games that took that strategy (Rune-
> Quest for example) and did not seem terribly damaged by
> the experiment.
>
> 	Obviously Steve Jackson felt the need to strongly
> penalize fighters from taking an odd spell. Perhaps he
> did not want all the fighters taking one missile spell.

Well, there is some justification for these penalties.  In
order to learn a spell, especially a combat spell, you have
to spend time learning it, practicing it, getting it all
down so that you can cast it "from the hip" in a stressful
situation.  The idea is that fighters are too busy doing
other stuff to put this kind of time into learning spell
casting.

At the same time, a wizard just doesn't have the time to
learn something like "Shipwright" unless there are special
circumstances involved.  I suppose you could argue the
same applies to a fighter for this particular example.

What about this:  For a woodsman character, give a list of
talents that can be learned at regular cost (or even a
reduction), all others can be learned with some varying
degree of penalty.  Talents I'm thinking of for this
particular example would be Naturalist, Expert Naturalist,
Survival (Woods), Alertness (Woods), Running, Bow, etc.
Others (such as Shipwright, Mathematics, etc) would have
to have an increased cost.

Dan