Re: Re: (TFT) Weapon Multiplier --> Repost

From: <srydzews@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Re: (TFT) Weapon Multiplier --> Repost
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:15:20 -0500

> >From: "John Paul Bakshoian"
> >One example of why it wouldn't be HTH is boxing.  In
> >the ring, a boxer is in his own hex.
>
> DMG II wrote:
> Exactly.  Boxing has rules.  Civilize rules.  Most combat
> is not so polite.  I'm sure a boxer would want others not
> to grapple them but if they are close enough to punch, the
> other person is close enough to grab.

Attend, attend!  Let us consult the holy writ to clear up
this matter:

Advanced Melee, COMBAT WITH BARE HANDS, DAGGERS, CESTUS, OR CLUB:

"The damage a figure does in bare-handed combat is ruled by
his strength.  In unarmed regular combat, a human or humanoid
fighter does damage as follows:
ST 8 or less: 1 - 4
[etc.]
Other kinds of bare-handed combat do more damage. A fighter
in HAND-TO-HAND COMBAT does the appropriate amount of damage
for his ST as above, plus 1..."

So sayeth the Great Work.

So as you can see, in TFT you can strike, unarmed, into an
adjacent hex.  This is considered 'regular combat'.  In the
rules for HTH combat, moving into someone's hex is needed
to initiate HTH combat.  Such a move puts both combatants
on the ground.  Basically if the fighting you're doing keeps
you both on your feet, it's regular.  Down on the ground,
HTH.  These are two different things, and even do different
amounts of damage.

Also note that the rule regarding engagement in AM
doesn't say anything about weapons:

"The concept of 'engaged' is used to identify figures who are actually involved in combat, and standing next to an enemy who endangers them physically."

And being able to reach out and smack them for damage
according to ST would seem to fall into the 'endangers
them physically' category.

The later example:

"In certain cases, the GM may declare that a figure is not
engaged -i.e., a knight in plate mail is not endangered by
an unarmed thirteen-year-old girl, so he is not engaged by
her"

Is obviously a special case, and should not be generalized
to mean that the same knight is not engaged by an adjacent
250# bruiser who happens to be unarmed.

Thanks,  Stan (I believe thats srydzews)

So if Scaramouche is in disguise as a beggar and he passes the Sheriff, he can do this all day long and not be engaged because the Sheriff missed his IQ rolls, but the moment in passing when he does make it, it becomes combat and rules of engagement are observed. Even if both are unarmed.

In a previous post made some comments 'bout perhaps there are 2 types of HTH, but you just clarified that. It does good to commune with the holy writ.

Hail Melee
John Paul