Re: (TFT) More stories from Jr High, off topic

Hm...first adventure.  That would have been DM'ing the dungeon in the back of
the old 'blue book' version of the D&D basic set, the one that came with In
Search of the Unknown.  (and it had dice, thank god.  If I recall correctly,
some of the later versions of the basic set had a set of SPI-like randomizer
chits instead of dice.  Yeesh.)

I ran it for my brother, of course since I was running it I don't remember
what I was doing humorously wrong--although I was somewhat confused about a
monsters hit points vs. its damage.  Which is which again?  (This resolved
itself when I looked at monsters higher than first level.)  I got hold of
the Monster Manual a month or two later, and the PHB and DMG as they came out
over the next year or so.  Damn I was happy to get the Player's Handbook, in
the blue book rules there was a huge list of weapons, which was ridiculous
because they all did a d6 of damage.  dagger? 1d6  two-handed sword? 1d6
Everyone used clubs because they were the cheapest, although I believe my
very first house rule (now here's a teary-eyed moment) was to make varying
amounts of damage for the different weapons.

My brother still has the character sheet for that thief, I think he's 12th
level or so.  And I still have the blue book, with my own damage figures
written in next to the weapons.

I was quite the wargamer before this watershed event, so I was aware of
Metagaming and ordered Melee and Ogre not too long after this, I think.
I remember it took HowardCo two months to get around to sending them to
me.  Now that's customer service.  But what did I expect for six bucks?
I played Melee, and later Wizard, a fair bit, but never tried to do
anything in the way of role-playing with it until ITL came out.

Of course, some would say that I've never tried to do much in the way
of 'real' role-playing with it even to this day.  Eh, I admit it, I'm a
wargamer at heart.

> There were premade characters at the end and I had Zeffan, Sporragha
> and Fencig (OK who remebers them now...............)

The only one I remember offhand is a cleric called 'Nupo, Servant of the
Bringer', which I only remember because 'Nupo' sounds so so silly.