(TFT) I knew this guy

I knew this guy, Ed Ott, who's character lead one of the longest running groups of adventurers I'd ever had the pleasure of GMing for. The characters a quite powerfull now. Pushing the limits. One guy has DX 22. Ed's wizard character has IQ 21. It's getting difficult to come up with real challenges. To make adventures with huge scope and sweeping grandure every session. I decide to give Ed's character clues to a lost spell. An IQ 21 spell. After it plays out, I decide to never release this spell in my campaign again. The city of Branya is built in the tradition of many fantasy cities. On top of the ruins of successively older cities. Dating back to the ancients. This makes for to potential of finding lost tunnels, ancient tombs, or forgoten treasure. Meat and potatos for adventurers. The team finds a map. Its in an unknown laguage of an unreconizeable city. They have no success getting it decifered. The language is dead. So a demon is summoned and a wish is used. The team scholar learns the language. The map leads to a spell. Not a place, thing, or book. It indicates that it is a map to a spell. Odd that a spell is in a location, but they find that one reference on the map actually exists within the city. It's part of an old wall. The team examines the wall and determines that most of what was a mural has been chipped and erroded away. The scholar determines the wall section is about one thousand years old. Repair spells are used and after a week they have the mural mostly intact. Its a fanciful depiction of the ancients from the first city on this site. A group of what looks like philosophers standing and sitting around in white robes. The map turns out to be the key. Using the map they can traces a path through the mural. Here and there on the hems of the robes are symbols and glyphs. By tracing the path they line up the glyphs to form words, sentences, and finally paragraphs. It turns out that this wall is a spell. And to actually read the paragraph is to learn the spell. Ed has his character do just that. He pays to have memory freed up, learns the language, and then learns the spell. He still doesn't know what the spell does, but he does know it takes fifty strength to cast. He hires a bunch of apprentices for the day and casts the spell. The whole team is there armed to the teeth. The spell works and the mural moves as though the team is looking through a window. Ed's character realizes it is some kind gate and steps through. He is standing with the philosophers. It is the dawn of the cities creation and they have cast a 'time gate' to find out the fate of the cities future. They question the character intently and then explain how the spell works. You cast one side of the gate for fifty strength and then someone will pop out from the future. Somone who has cast the other end of the gate. After some discussion on star postions they determine that the gate seems to span a thousand years. A bit further than they were hoping for, as Ed's character has no idea about the first cities future or end. In Ed's time that information is lost to memory. The philosophers decline to travel to the future by stepping through the gate. They have too much work to do here. Ed's character asks them one question before he returns. 'What are you called. You're civilization is so old we don't even know how you refer to yourselves.' The response is 'We are the Mnoren.' With that Ed has his character return and he starts thinking about how he is going to use this new spell.

    David Michael Grouchy II