(TFT) Re: d20 TFT

Rick writes . . .

>However, you may want to have people spend
>Experience for those 4 points.  If so, you might
>want to check out my superscript rules or Dave
>Seagraves' Adjusted ST and IQ (which are basically
>a subset of my superscript rules except he uses
>2 for one where as I use a 3 for 1 ratio).

   I originally considered a 3:1 ratio of 3 IQ points for every
attribute point, but 2:1 sounded fairer, and I didn't want experienced
characters running around with all of the talents in the book and thus
all looking alike.  (And even at 2:1 there are two characters in my
campaign who are talent monsters . . .  one of them being Rick's
character!)  2:1 helps characters be distinctive while still allowing
them to learn new skills without being forced to pump their IQ's to
unrealistic levels.

Ty writes . . .

>a. Change all attribute rolls to 1d20. This will make the jump from
10
>to 11 to 12 far smaller and will give some benefit to real high
stats.

   Mmmm . . .  No matter how high the defender's adjDX the chance to
hit him remains the same.  In a big TFT battle I can see discarding
defense rolls, but in a PC-NPC combat I prefer a little more detail
here (and a little less lethality).
   Your d20 system also lacks scalability, although I admit this isn't
a big problem, just a small one.  The Expert and Master weapon talents
mitigate this somewhat, but there is still an upper limit where
eventually highly-experienced characters are hitting almost all the
time.
   But despite the problems I wouldn't mind playing a character in a
campaign using your system.  I also like rolling one attack die for
each NPC.

>a. Unconsciousness is at 0 to -5 ST. Anyone that gets to that point
>is out until awakened. If wounded to -6 or less, the character is
>badly wounded and will lose 1 ST per turn until dead (death is at
>-ST). This "bleeding" can be stopped if someone makes a hard roll vs
>DX or IQ (average for Physicker, easy for Master Physicker). A
>Combat Healing spell or healing potion will stop the bleeding.

   I use a similar system for death and dying in Thail.  Figures go
unconscious at 0 and die at -ST.  If wounded to negative hits a 2-die
vs. ST saving roll will stop the bleeding, otherwise a Heal spell (IQ
17!), healing potion, or successful Physicker roll will stabilize the
patient.

>(A previous experiment entailed granting a number of "fatigue points"
>equal to ST. These were lost before actual ST and were easy to
recover
>with rest. The result was that combats went on too long.)

   The easy fix for this is to assume that the first half of a
figure's hit points are "fatigue" and can be rested or physicked back
to normal.  So a ST 12 fighter who takes 8 hits in a particular fight
gets back half his hits (6) after the fight, leaving 2 hits to deal
with in some other way.
   Or even better, assume that half the damage taken in a fight is
short-term and can be physicked away.  The same fighter who took 8
hits would get 4 back when attended by a physicker after the battle.

Lt. Dave Seagraves   zilchATaustin.rr.com
Combat Physician, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division, TMHS