Re: (TFT) Guns and Armour Penetration.

Some armor should protect against guns; really only plate, primarily.

1. That you have been unable to find evidence for penetrative ability is
more from a lack of looking, I'm afraid. There is documentation of armour
being proofed against firearms as late as 1734! I would suggest tabling this
part of the discussion until you have taken the time to read in detail a
copy of "Helmets and Body Armour in Modern Warfare" by Bashford Dean to give
you a basic grounding in the subject.

2. "...at least with projectiles of similar technology." My point exactly. A
soft lead ball is going to be very inferior to a well constructed bodkin
point, even with higher K.E. behind the lead ball. In the equations
governing penetration (see "Longbow - A Social and Military History" by
Robert Hardy) cross section area plays a significant role. Also, the example
of modern AT rounds is not apt to my point - all penetrators are at least
made of steel, and generally tungsten or even depleted uranium - dense, hard
stuff. Unlike lead, which is dense very very very soft stuff. I guarentee
you that if you used a "lead" round out of a tank barrel, you will get close
to zippo for penetration. Now, an *iron* ball out of a musket would be a
very different story, but lead? You've gotta be kidding. And I've seen
plenty of documentation showing how lead balls might not penetrate (really
depended on the charge - but even if you penetrate you're still using up a
lot of energy, thus protecting the person inside) not to mention the
documentation of my own two eyes! Granted, the experiment was limited, using
a (relatively) weak crossbow and only a pistol, not a musket. But, since it
was against a cut rate breastplate, I think the comparison is still apt.

3. I think GURPS may not be so bad - at least, if you consult the "High
Tech" supplement. They do try to take all of that into account, if clumsily.

4. I somewhat disagree here, but mostly because of the time scales in TFT
and mostly with really modern (say, late 19th century and on) firearms.
Otherwise, your rules are pretty d*&^ good, if I may say. I just disagree
with penetration. Also, I really think that any sort of breechloader is
going to make a hash out of most games, unless you're trying for a sort of
"Shadowrun" type of campaign. Even if plate offers some protection, a couple
of volleys will still ruin your day pretty fast...

5. Disagree here, but with caveats. I think Mail and lessor armours may be
safely ignored; indeed, mail adds insult to injury with broken links being
driven into the bullet wound! But any kind of plate armour will protect to a
significant degree, particularly fine plate. This based on my research and I
think pretty well informed opinion. I concede I am not an expert, but I do
have access to a lot of detailed data that, plainly, you haven't even heard
of, much less seen. You might want to do a little more digging and actually
plug a few penetration formulas before dismissing armour.