(TFT) TFT d20: The Heresy Continues...

After contaminating TFT with polyhedrals (using a d20 to resolve attribute
rolls instead of 3d6; my heretical weapon chart incorporating all the
polyhedrals except the d30 [which even I think is heretical]), I have
decided to continue my apostacy and replace the TFT magic system with the
D&D magic system.

<Waits for the howls of outrage and indignation to subside.>

Before I get to the mechanics, let me at least identify the reasons for my
heresy:

1. I think that the TFT magic system, though it is a wonderful duelling
system, stinks for an RPG.

2. Conversely, the Vancian magic system of D&D is one of the few things I
really love about D&D and is (IMHO) the best feature of D&D.

3. TFT wizards are tough to play because of the draconian need to power
their spells (I know that many of us have ditched the "treat fatigue as
damage" rule(. The result is that they are one-battle wonders, unless
equipped with large ST batteries. Then, they gain outlandish capabilities in
some instances (any GM who has ever had his Really Nasty Bad Guy felled by a
10 die lightning bolt knows what I'm talking about).

4. I have finally distilled the key things that I like about TFT and that I
think TFT does better than any game around:
   a. Very fast, yet reasonably detailed characters -- you can esily whip
out a TFT character in 5 minutes.
   b. Engaging, elegant and fun combat system -- see the d20 system for an
example of how to do it poorly
   c. Easy system for players and GMs to handle -- the attribute rolls are
intuitive and easy to use.
   Note that the magic system does not appear in any of these comments...

Now, here is how I plan to do it:

Assumptions: I will be using this in my TFT d20 system, so all the comments
about that apply. I will also be using my heretical polyhedral weapons
damage chart.

1. There are no TFT character classes (hero or wizard) now. Instead there
are Mage talents, which define (a) the level of spell that you can use; and
(b) the ST cost of those spells. The presence of iron will still inhibit
spellcasting. Spells must be sucessfully cast (average DX roll, or 3/DX),
but there is no D&D style saving throw, unless particularly appropriate for
the spell. The mage talents are listed with IQ cost in parenthesis and
Prerequisites in brackets. Each level of Mage requires all previous levels
of Mage:

Mage-0 (4) {IQ 8+} -- Allows use of 0 level spells (cantrips)
Mage-1 (2) {IQ 10+} -- Allows use of 1st level spells
Mage-2 (2) {IQ 12+} -- Allows use of 2nd level spells
Mage-3 (2) {IQ 14+} -- Allows use of 3rd level spells
Mage-4 (2) {IQ 16+} -- Allows use of 4th level spells
Mage-5 (2) {IQ 18+} -- Allows use of 5th level spells
Mage-6 (2) {IQ 20+} -- Allows use of 6th level spells
Mage-7 (2) {IQ 21+} -- Allows use of 7th level spells
Mage-8 (2) {IQ 22+} -- Allows use of 8th level spells
Mage-9 (2) {IQ 23+} -- Allows use of 9th level spells
Mage-10 (2) {IQ 24+}

2. Spells must be memorized just like D&D spells. Each day, a figure can
memorize half of his IQ in spells. But a spell is *not* lost when cast. A
figure can cast the spell as many times as he wants as long as the figure
has ST. Spells must be acquired from a spell book and use all the D&D rules
for spell books (but assume all spells can be learned [if available] by all
wizards).

3. The ST cost for most spells is as follows: 4 ST if the spell equals your
Mage level. 3 ST if the spell is one less than your Mage level. 2 ST if the
spell is 2 less than your Mage level. 1 ST if the spell is at least 3 less
than your Mage level. So, a Mage 4 character pays 4 ST for each 4th level
spell, 3 ST for each 3rd level spell, 2 ST for each 2nd level spell and 1 ST
for each 1st level or 0 level spell.

4. The ST used in casting spells is not really fatigue as we know it. It is
"mana" or somesuch and has no negative effect on the caster when it is
expended. The caster is actually channelling the energy from elsewhere and
the ST cost is like the energy expended by a car battery to start an engine.
ST batteries in this universe are *very* rare and *very* costly.

5. In general, convert D&D (I use D&D 3rd edition) spells with the following
rules:
    a. Divide ranges by 5 feet to get TFT hexes for ranges, radii, etc.
    b. Durations/casting time are the same as noted in D&D 3rd (in earlier
D&D versions, convert 1 round to 1 TFT turn; otherwise durations will be too
long)
    c. The listed damage is fine for 1st-2nd level spells. For higher level
spells, damage will likely need to be adjusted (say, by 1/2).

6. Some D&D spells will ignore physical armor -- this will be noted in the
descriptions.

7. Similar talents can be created for Clerics, Illusionists and Druids.

8. Spell descriptions coming soon.

Comments?

--Ty