Re: (TFT) Firearm research

----- Original Message -----
From: "Quite Confused" <selfinflicted_wounds@hotmail.com>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 7:18 PM
Subject: (TFT) Firearm research

> >>Hard to believe that some frontiersman, such as Simon Kenton, mastered
the
> >>ability to do all of this while running! <Dan>
>
> I believe that Dan was referring to drills in which American light
> Infantry were able to a man to hit a 7 target @ 250 yrds while in quick
> advance formation.
> Also Isaac Miller, a frontiersman from Pennsylvania where 6 of the first
12
> U.S. regiments were drafted, was the fastest shot in his county who could
> load and fire his weapon off handed in 26 seconds. Loading a rifle took
over
> 20 motions even allowing for time saving procedures such as holding tears
> between the fingers of the left hand while holding rounds in the mouth or
> even having a board with holes drilled through it at the same diameter as
> the rounds so that the round and tear could be stuffed into the holes and
> the entire thing could be held over the bore and rammed home in a single
> motion (basically a primitive magazine).

No, I wasn't.   There weren't many who could master the technique, but
there were several frontiersmen who could and did.  Simon Kenton was
one, Louis Wetzel was another.   They could fire, load, ram, prime and
fire again, all while running.  SK was known among the Indians as a man
whose rifle was always loaded because he mastered this ability.

Dan