Re: (TFT) Guns and Armour Penetration.

> There are severe problems with a "KE per square cm of cross-section"
> analysis. As Frank Chadwick pointed out in Fire Fusion and Steel, the
German
> 20mm has a higher KE/cm^2 figure than the 75 long (IIRC)! Kinetic energy
> appears to be the most relevant measure of penetration with modern
firearms,
> though penetrator design is critical as well (long, thin metal penetrators
> seem particularly > effective). I have no idea if this holds true for
small
> arms, but it is very true for large penetrators.

I have never heard of this before, but it is a very good point. I will have
to get Chadwick for my self, it looks like. However, I wonder how this
applies to relatively thin sections of metal

> > One problem with K.E. theory. Part of my reluctance is an article
> > in the Nov
> > '96 issue of Military Illustrated, which dealt with the infantry anti
tank
> > rifles (Boyes, M1918 Mauser, Solothurn, etc.) While most were difficult
> > compare, I came across a couple that were close enough to make a
> > meaningful
> > comparison. This was the 13x94R steel core AP (fired from a Mauser
M1918)
> > and a very modern 7.62x51 NATO round, manufactured by FFV in Sweden. THe
> > former round is 800 gr, with a muzzle V. of 2525 fps. The latter
> > is tungsten
> > cored, 130 gr, and a muzzle V. of 3120 fps. The 13x94R has an energy of
> > 11396 ft-lbs while the FFV round is only 2960 ft-lbs. Yet both are
capable
> > of penetrating 15mm of armor plate at 300 meters! Granted, the quality
of
> > the armor plate is not specified, but one would reason that any
> > differences
> > would favour the WWI vintage 13x94R, rather than the ultra modern
> > FFV round.
> > This is a major reason why I don't consider K.E. to be all
> > important.
>
> Just a cautionary note -- in evaluating hundreds of modern weapons
systems,
> I found most "hard" penetration data to be useless because the information
> was incomplete, leaving out slope, range, and specific ammo types.

SLOPE! Forgot to think about that, here. The M1918 was specified as 90
degrees and the FFV unspecified, however, if that's the best the big boy can
do I shudder to think about the smaller round if the test was actually at an
angled plate...