RE: (TFT) Minimum ST for armor?

Matt Picone <matman@mysticworks.com> wrote:

> To me it sounds as simple as saying:
>
> "Figures who attempt to strike an opponent who
> carries a shield suffer a
> penalty to their attack roll based on the size
> of the shield:
>[snip]
> Not too complex... but is it really right?

Good question.  If this is what they had in mind, it would makes DX all the
more necessary and 'tanks' all the more pointless.  Let's see adjDX 10, oh,
but -3 to hit...adjDX 7.  Not good.  But maybe they have another way to do it.

I like Ty's idea about lowering the ST level at which armor penalties are
reduced.  In my game I've already said that at 16 ST plate gives only -5 DX,
and at 14 ST half plate is only -4 DX.  (No, the damned Fine Plate doesn't go
to -3 DX.)

I did this more because it's ridiculous that plate and half-plate's DX
penalties were higher than their protection values, giving them a worse
protection/'weight' ratio than mail.  In reality, if anything the opposite
should be the case.

(Not that anyone wears them anyway; all the PC's are of course in leather or
that fine plate I'm always railing against.)