Re: (TFT) New Spell

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 19:26:01 -0600 David Michael Grouchy II
<david_michael_grouchy_ii@hotmail.com> wrote:

> [in praise of trip]

Trip is a good spell.  The casting cost vs. strong and/or large creatures can
really add up fast, though (12 ST to trip a giant, for instance).

> IQ 13
>
> Large(T):  The spell will make strong
> characters into a multi-hex figure.
> The spell costs a minimum 2 points of fatigue.
> It costs 1 point per turn it
> is maintained.  Use the following tables to
> determine the resulting size of
> the figure in hexes.

This is interesting, but perhaps your formula/table should take into account
the creature's initial size.  A ST 30 bear is a one-hex creature, a ST 30
giant a three-hex creature.  Should you really end up with the same result on
each?  Maybe...

Really, though, since TFT has something of a disconnect between size-in-hexes
and ST, I don't know that ST should be the basis for the cost of using the
spell.

Then there's the fact that the real total volume of a 'long' creature, such as
a dragon, is much more closely reflected by its size in hexes than in the case
of a 'tall' creature, such as a man.

I think all this argues for a more consolidated approach.

How about just saying the casting cost is three per hex added to a Tall
figure's size, and two per hex added to a Long figure's size.  Cost to
maintain is 1/4 casting cost, rounded up.  Unlike most thrown spells, the cost
is NOT increased for casting it on a target larger than one hex to begin with.

All increases have to fit the size progression for the creature's type:

Size categories for 'tall' creatures are one-hex, three-hex, seven-hex
(circular/megahex pattern), 12 hex (circular pattern), and 18 hex (circular
pattern).

Size categories for 'long' creatures are one-hex, two-hex, four-hex,
seven-hex, 14-hex, 21, and 28 hex.

Of course there are some weirdos, like the ten-hex elephants, but I'll ignore
those for now.  I'll also not worry about how logical a 40' tall guy with ST 8
might be.  This is an issue with both versions of the spell...but if the spell
increased ST along with size it would case serious problems.