Re: (TFT) I knew this guy

From: "Neil Gilmore" <raito@raito.com>

 Being close to Lake Geneva (home of TSR), we did have a couple of
people who started their roleplayng careers in the almighty Gygax's
basement (when the nastiest monster was the 3-headed snake, because
it got 3 tries to hit things). But I digress.

Neil,
  No kidding.  Talk about being there at the dawn of role playing.

  The most popular D&D campaign there was by this guy Rocky.  The
whole of the campaign was stores in a particularly ratty backpack.
One day, the backpack was stolen. It has been referred to for 2
decades as 'the day the world died'.

Yeah, somone really wanted to know what was in there. I mean it doesn't sound like they were interested in the 'high quality' of the back pack itself. I just don't see DMs any more with a 'book of secrets.' I mean winging it is fine, but the successful GMs I see doing it already have a lot of clout. I remember a couple of DMs who never even ran games but spent a lot of time building up their world and writing down the details. It used to be a lot more important than it is now. But for someone just starting out as a GM I feel its an important step. Players act differently when they feel the GM is working from a home made campaign. Particularly if they have made a great map of the lands to show the players. But there is something extra gained when the GM makes notes in their book after the players do something. Like giving poisoned weapons to Ogres (cool story.) Its like the GM is telling the players 'you ARE having an effect on my world.'

  David Michael Grouchy II