Re: (TFT) Are TFT Magic Items Too Complicated?

--- Dan Tulloh <dwtulloh@zianet.com> wrote:
> I agree.  In my mind, potions should be limited to
> things that affect the
> drinker only.  That still leaves a wide range of
> effects available - giving
> the drinker Mage Sight to making him Insubstantial
> or Invisible, to
> giving him aid (in ST, DX or IQ) to making him
> clumsy, giving him
> speed or whatever.

Well thought and said.

> It shouldn't allow the drinker
> to create a gargoyle,
> summon a wolf or make a floor slippery though.

Here I must disagree.  I can see where you may have
the thought that potions affect the user, and
therefore the alchemist can only produce such effects.
 But a slippery floor seems a reasonable effect from
the alchemist's art.  And while Gems exist for
Gargoyles and Wolves, it seems to me alchemical
preparations might be made to create images or
illusions of whatever the alchemist intended, and of
course concocted for.