RE: (TFT) Heritage/Philosophy of TFT

> Forgive me for chiming in here, but I do believe that the majority of
> frpgs out there are based VERY CLOSELY on Tolkein.

Well, of course! All FRPGs owe their fundamentals tone, even their
existence, to Tolkien, whose literary work impacted all the later forces
which shaped fantasy as we know it today. FRPGamers one-and-all owe the
good professor everything in that regard. One can't be here without
having been there, so to speak. Try to imagine modern species without
their evolutionary predecessors isn't possible. What is important though
is that we're not exactly based *directly* on our ancestors, and neither
are most frpgs based directly on Tolkien in any sense of the word.

The stream of influences on modern gaming has beome wide and deep, and
crosses boundries like they don't exist. Do they? Anyweay...

I can never see the point of this perennial topic. It is the nadir of
ubergeekdom to quibble over how game mechanics support or don't support
the eventsof an unrelated narrative, or worse, to cross-pollenate the
original source with the parts of later imitations to breed a
bastardized frankenstin.

Steve Jackson never did this. PETER Jackson did!

--
</M@>