RE: (TFT) Heritage/Philosophy of TFT --> taking out Smaug

Mark Wrote:

>PS so how *did* the Black Arrow kill Smaug, one-shot? I still have trouble
>with that one.
>
>Triple-damage roll, on a 3d-2 hit longbow? (still only 48 hits, though
>maybe he had already taken most of his damage from the other archers)
>"Critical hit" (but it was clearly *not* on his head)?
>Did 1/3 of Smaug's hit points, "knocking him down" from low altitude,
>so he crashed and burned (or got hypothermia, couldn't swim, whatever)?
>Mondo Reptile Poison?
>14-hex Sleep arrowhead (Bard *did* say he'd always gotten it back
before...)

Hi all,
	In my campaign I allow people to
deliberately strike at vital areas at
-16 DX for double damage.  (With missile
weapons you must be within a minimum
range as well.)

	Let us say the black arrow was a +2
charm and had +3 damage on it or something.

	He rolls for a vital location (the
hole in his armor for -16 DX) and rolls a
natural triple damage.

	Then rolls max longbow damage and
multiplies it by *6.  That would
knock down out a 19 hex dragon.  Add a
bleeding critical hit just for insult.

	It then fell on to the town (River
Run if I remember).  I damage large
creatures fairly hard by falling and I
would argue that the buildings crushed
beneath Smaug would count as rough,
uneven ground at least (which in my rules
doubles falling damage).

	So I could see such an arrow and
fall (along with a LOT of luck), killing
a 19 hex dragon easily, perhaps even a
24 hex dragon).

	(And that is using my Dragon rules
where they are about 20% stronger than