(TFT) Heritage/Philosophy of TFT

Stan wrote:

>TFT isn't really trying to re-create Middle Earth.

I'm re-reading the series now. It is *amazing* how many of the descriptive
elements in Tolkien made it into TFT. Elves vs. bugs, Dwarves carrying
more, "halflings" throwing rocks well, Elves living longer (though not
forever), etc. etc. etc.

I agree you can't duplicate Middle Earth in TFT, but in my mind there is no
question where many of the creative roots of the game are. It is true that
some things have had their emphasis changed, presumably for "play balance"
and to permit players to have more choices.

The effect on me is that I want to keep the game close to Middle Earth
where possible. That means I feel that creating magic items is almost "too
easy". On the other hand, I definitely want my characters to use items they
wrought, so sometimes it seems "too hard". Which I guess means I think it's
balanced about right.

Leads to an interesting philosophical question - should I feel any
obligation to keep my gaming "true" to Tolkien? I suppose not, as long as
I'm having fun.

							- Mark

PS so how *did* the Black Arrow kill Smaug, one-shot? I still have trouble
with that one.

Triple-damage roll, on a 3d-2 hit longbow? (still only 48 hits, though maybe he
	had already taken most of his damage from the other archers)
"Critical hit" (but it was clearly *not* on his head)?
Did 1/3 of Smaug's hit points, "knocking him down" from low altitude, so he
	crashed and burned (or got hypothermia, couldn't swim, whatever)?
Mondo Reptile Poison?
14-hex Sleep arrowhead (Bard *did* say he'd always gotten it back before...)

Help?