(TFT) Announcing myself and a question

I'm Erol K. Bayburt. Some of you on this list already know me.

I've been GMing TFT for a long time, but I've only now gotten around to
subscribing to this list and putting some of my TFT/Etan stuff up on my web
site:

http://members.aol.com/erolb1/etan.html

Recently I've been working on rule revisions. I want to reduce the cost of
gunpowder in Etan by half, and this lead me to butting my head, again, on the
potion & magic item economics system. Thus the question:

Does anyone know how that works, in particular, how the figures for "cost of
ingredients for new potions" (AW p36) and "cost of St and ingredients for
lesser/greater magic items" were derived? Not to mention the rental vs
purchase cost for labs, and the footnotes for increasing the value of an
underlying item when putting on a many-week enchantment.

As nearly as I can figure, it's based on a *very* high interest rate - 1 or
2% per *week*. The "increase in value of underlying item" rule matches almost
perfectly with a 1% per week, compounded, interest rate. But I haven't been
able to reverse engineer the rest of it.

Of course I'm going to be ripping the whole subsystem out, for my campaign,
but I really like to know what it is I'm trashing.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow