Re: (TFT) Druids, Clerics and such

In a message dated 2/27/2003 8:08:44 AM Central Standard Time,
rmorger@mail.ev1.net writes:

> I'm sure there has been talk on this venue at some time or nother
> about how to handle Druids, Clerics and other magic type users.
>
> So can anyone tell me how they handle these type characters in
> their campaigns.

In Etan, the gods all died a little over a thousand years ago. The current
religions of Etan all have to deal with that fact, one way or another:

Shamanistic religions: "The Great Gods were too big and far away to care
about ordinary people. It's the tribal spirits who care about the tribesmen
and who the tribesmen should care about."

Millerism: "The Gods died, yes. But the ghosts of some of the gods remain.
Someday, they will return to power, rewarding those who were faithful."

Carpalism: "The so-called 'gods' were merely angelic spirits. The true Deity
is the all-powerful and unknowable Hand of Fate. One should live in
submission to the will of Fate, as was taught by the Prophet, in order to
have a happy life (and afterlife)."

Isran [The State religion of the Southern Empire]: "The holy Emperor is the
true heir of the gods, and thus the proper object of worship."

Hysterism: "So the gods died. Everything dies. Death is but a birth into a
larger world, beyond Etan."

In terms of game mechanics, each religion has a slightly different version of
the Priest talent and a massively different version of the Theologian talent.
The Priest talent gives the various minor benefits of being a wizard - not
the reduced cost of spells, but the miscellaneous bonuses like Sorcerers
Tongue at IQ 16. A Priest who is already a wizard reduces the minimum IQ
required to learn spells by 2 points (e.g. he can learn IQ 14 spell at IQ
12).

I had though of creating a RuneQuest-ish system of cults, priests, and
special cult spells when I converted Etan from AD&D to TFT, but I decided to
just kill off the gods, instead, massively downgrading the game importance of
religion.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow