Re: (TFT) More on Predict Weather & Control Weather.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stan" <srydzews@ix.netcom.com>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 9:32 PM
Subject: Re: (TFT) More on Predict Weather & Control Weather.

[snip]
> Well he will blow his dex roll every once
> in a while.  If you don't get a second
> chance at it, then the "day at a time"
> approach will naturally be limited by
> this factor.

I don't buy this argument for two reasons, the first begin that Erol
mentioned in the original rule:

>Casting the Control Weather spell does not require any die rolls.

Also, when Rick pointed this lack of a DX roll for the Predict Weather
spell, Erol replied with:

>I considered that, and decided against it. For one thing, Predict Weather
is
>very much a non-combat spell: If the wizard misses the Dx roll, he can just
>try again, so what does it matter?

Personally, I think there should *always* be a DX roll, just because there
are occasions where time is of the essence, no matter what the spell.
However, the second reason I disagree is that even if you do have the wizard
make a DX roll, the only penalty for missing the spell normally (16 or less)
is 1 fst.  If the Wizard rolls 17 or more, he pays full fatigue, which is
only 4fst for a 2 day delay.  The wizard probably has enough strength to
cast it again immediately, if not an hour later.

> Also, as time goes on you'll have more
> and more individual storms that will
> have to be deferred.  The total daily
> ST costs and number of DX rolls will
> pile up quite fast.

This argument makes much more sense to me.  You might be able to delay one
rainfall, but sooner or later, another rainfall will come.  Then either you
delay both (at twice the fst cost), or as a GM I would say the storms
combine and it now costs double delay this single, larger storm.

On a more fundamental level, I agree with Rick and Cas's arguments that this
spell doesn't cost enough fatigue for the (potentially large) area that if
affects.

Cheers,

Matt