RE: Re:(TFT) Hymenopterans Version --> Roberts food economy

> I had the queen lay an egg every 5-7 days, and an egg take 16 weeks and
>200 Kilos of food to reach adulthood.  So feeding the babies required 1000
>Kilos of food a month, plus another 1000 or so for the queen and the
adults.
>This puts a strain on the warriors to go out and get the food, and I
>determined that if the hive lost warriors faster than they were replaced
and
>was held below a certain threshold, the hive would waste away and perish .
>That is eventually what happened, without the hive location actually being
>discovered the party managed to eliminate it by killing 100+ warriors.
>
> However, this was a well armed well financed, very efficient party of 7
>characters in the 40+ point range, with about 6 henchmen.  They got lots of
>aid and support from the locals, and they still got beat up a lot of the
>time, and took over a year (off and on) to reduce the hive strength enough
>do it in.
>
> My Bugs were a formidable foe for a strong party.  Yours I am afraid would
>pose a threat to many nations.

Hi Robert,
	Very nice post.  In the Chitin 1 war game the bugs
were fighting over 'valaroes' (sp?) which I saw as some
sort of sticky plant.  I've always figured that the
hive would depend mainly on plants, but would take meat
when ever they could get it as meat has higher kJoules
/ kg.

	This means that if a hive has a significant amount
of warriors killed, the farms would support it and allow
the population to regrow.  Since there is sufficient
food, there is no need for the warriors to go ranging,
and this would cause them to bump into PC's less.

	On the other hand, the farms are a lot easier to
find, so your players would have to go into the hive
(or at least siege it) to finish the bugs off.  I rather
like having my PC's having to fight their way into the
hives themselves.

	Rick