Re: (TFT) Staff spell?

--- Mark Tapley <mtapley@swri.edu> wrote:
> All,
> 	A couple of questions about the Staff spell as used
> by wizards with
> fighter tendencies:
>
> 1) If a wizard learns the Quarterstaff talent, then
> casts Staff on his
> quarterstaff, does he do:

2+0, per the Codex.  This implies it's swung with
force, and adds it's magical 'whack' to the normal
force.  I would rule it could still do 1+0 simply
placed against an object and willed to 'whack'.  But
then I rule it can do 1+0 of any type of damage the
mage has a spell to produce.

> 2) If a wizard learns the Bow Weapons talent,
> a) Can he cast Staff on every arrow in his quiver?

Only one Staff can exist at a time, per wizard.

> b) If he sticks an arrow into an opponent, and a
> different opponent tries
> to pull it out and thus causes it to explode, does
> it do 3D to the one it's
> sticking in, 3D to the overeager physicker, or 3D to
> each?

"If an opponent... against (the will of the mage)." is
the quote.  I would rule that the mage _desired_ the
target to be shot with the Staff-arrow, so that's not
against his will.  So the arrow victim (AV)is given a
free pass, and can remove the arrow from himself, and
put it down.  He may not thereafter pick it up.  Well,
maybe while his blood was still wet on the arrow.

If a different person touches the arrow while it's
still in AV, it does not go off, just like it doesn't
if you grapple with a mage.  If they break the arrow,
while it's still in AV, it doesn't go off, either,
just like a Staff doesn't explode if a Break Weapon
result is rolled in combat against an unarmed man.  If
they _remove_ the arrow, unbroken, they have a free
pass until they set it down.  If they pick it up after
that, boom.  If the physiker passes it to a nurse,
say, and she passes it to a guardsman, and he carries
it through the city to the guard's barracks, and sets
it down, and later on he picks it up... boom.

> c) If the victim is clever and leaves the arrow in
> place, can he be saved
> by a friendly wizard using:
> 	Break Weapon - won't trigger explosion, and once
> broken enchantment
> 			is gone?

Yes.  But see above for a cheaper way.

> 	Long Distance Teleport - move the victim someplace
> safe, leave
> 			the arrow behind?

I wouldn't let you TPort a person and leave an
imbedded arrow behind.

> 	Telekineses - on the theory that nobody's
> *actually* grabbing the
> thing,
> 			so it won't go off?

Yes, but again, see above.

> 	Insubstantiality - on victim, while a well-armored
> physicer yanks
> 			the arrow?
> 	Dissolve Enchantment - pretty sure this should
> work?
> 	Remove Cursed Object - if victim is in good enough
> shape to pull it out
> 			himself?
>
> Could a gate be constructed to fail to pass staffs,
> but pass wounded
> fighters, and thus "filter the staff out"?

LOL.  Man...  It's _just_ a Staff spell.

And you've kind of missed something.  TFT offers no
rules for arrows becoming 'stuck', so you pretty much
have to set up this dramatic moment by GM fiat.  Not
that that's a _bad_ thing.  :)