Re: (TFT) Gates, staves, maintaining big illusions?

All,
	Thanks, the input is very helpful. A couple of comments (should
have put them in before):

GATES:

The previous paragraphs in AW (pp. 39) talk about poking a pole or throwing
a torch through a passageway. "...does not PROVE there's no gate. Maybe the
gate doesn't activate UNTIL a torch is thrown through!"

<convoluted logic alert>

Can't *disprove* a gate. But the fact that the test is mentioned implies
that it could successfully prove there *is* a gate. Which implies that a
gate can be constructed to pass a torch alone. (see also "*some* gates will
only pass living beings .... " (emphasis added)).
	I think this means the sewer could be constructed to work. However
I like best Stan's 250 kg per roll rule. That's far better than one roll
per ... er ... bolus, anyway.

DMGII:
>   4) If the rule on the gate only allows environment to pass through, and
>not characters, then the gate may opperate in an "always on" state.  This
>allows gates that provide fresh water, or cool winds from mountains.

Another good rule. Blows the idea of the porta-loo serving as a very
disgusting emergency sneak exit from the cavern, though. Or not - could
just have another layer of gate there...

STAFF ARROWS:

I must confess, I wasn't thinking of an arrow that was *just* a Staff. I
was thinking of a Staff shaft (and fletching?) with a Sleep Item arrowhead.
The "will" of the firing Wizard was that that arrowhead *stay* in the
unfortunate target. So although the arrow should not explode on the way in,
someone ripping it out (either the target or another) would violate the
will of the wizard ... boom.

(Hmm. Maybe I'm not being consistent here. He's a pacifist wizard, just
wants to lull his enemies to sleep ... really! He *hates* the idea of
someone taking the arrow out and getting hurt ...

So why'd he booby-trap it in such a deadly way? Gotta think about that. )

but Ed's

>Only one Staff can exist at a time, per wizard.

Seems entirely reasonable (dangit), so the Wizard archer only gets to pull
this stunt once per battle.

>LOL.  Man...  It's _just_ a Staff spell.

Okay, okay. But it's the *principle* of the thing... :-)

Stan suggested:

>I make ten 3-inch-long staves with interconnecting ends, then screw them
>>together, and put it in with the king's walking sticks.

*Please* remind me never to get on this man's bad side .... I love it!
10 Wizards could still get together and do this! They could even Glamor it
to look *just* like the King's (or headmaster's?) favorite stick!

ILLUSIONS:

Ed sed:

>Canon requires a higher-power item for bigger
>Illusions.

Makes sense - but I couldn't find where.

Thanks All!
						- Mark