Re: (TFT) Too simple / not as simple or elegant... Survey

> - What are the top 3 things that TFT does right.

1. Programmed introduction! Can teach the kids Melee, and have fun with
that alone. Then add Wizard. Then hand them ITL and a couple days later,
they are ready to buy a mule and journey to far Dwarvenhome... No other
game is set up as well that way. It even worked on my dad!

2. Combat system - clear rules, interesting tactics which make a difference
to the outcome, opportunity for luck to play a big role (so that beginners
can still beat experienced characters).

3. Magic integrated with combat - (reasonably) balanced, spells change the
flavor of the fight but fighters can still do well.

> - What are the top 3 things that TFT OVER SIMPLIFIES.

1. Hate to say it, but...HTH rules. A clearer exposition of how to get in,
what happens in, how to get out, etc. would have helped. As is, I think
they are playable but they really tend to disrupt an otherwise smooth
system.

2. 3-attribute system. Allowing subdivisions of each is such a common house
rule that I think it should have been included as an optional rule in the
original.

3. Mounted combat, shipboard combat, seige, - special combat situations in
general. I know they ran out of space, but I'd have liked to see more there.

If I got a 4. I'd chime in on Cidri background. But it's fair to claim this
should have been in supplements, not the main game rules.

As for monsters/background, well, see my last post. I think that's for GM's
to cover. No reason the players should be able to memorize all of the
attributes of every wierd beast they'll ever encounter....

> - What are the top 3 things that TFT does in a TOO COMPLICATED WAY.

1. Costs/time for newly invented magic items. Still not sure I understand that.

2. Experience. Too many categories to keep track of it all.

3. Weight carried. It's realistic, but who wants to add up the weight of
the backpack, the water, etc.? (Maybe should have just extend the "number
of weapons" concept from Melee - each character has 6 slots, a backpack
takes up 1 slot and carries 4 more, canteen is one slot, weapon is one
slot, extra quiver is one slot, ...?)

					- Mark

PS suppose a multi-hex figure performs a "sweeping blow"?
Suppose Agrelgar gets UC4 -> Eyes Behind and does it? How the heck many
targets could he strike at at once? Of course, he'd miss most of them.