Re: (TFT) More on Sweeping blows.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stan" <srydzews@ix.netcom.com>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 5:34 AM
Subject: Re: (TFT) More on Sweeping blows.

> Charles Gadda wrote:
> > Actually, he was probably thinking about cutting through
>  > the targets, which is not unreasonable, though not the
>  > only conclusion.
>
> I think it's pretty unreasonable.  I mean, to cut entirely
> through not one, but TWO armored men and strike a third
> equally hard--with one blow?

No, here's what I was thinking.  A two-handed cutting weapon
(axe or sword) is a pretty big piece of equipment.  In order to
consider every cut with such a weapon a graze, then the damage
is done by either the tip of the weapon or else by slicing the
weapon across the victim.

However, if I swing a two-hander haymaker style at someone in
the next hex (which, in TFT terms is 3 ft, I think) then mostly I am
hitting the opponent with the middle of the blade or the business
end of the axe.  In order for the blade to continue on to the next
opponent, then I either have to make a slicing cut (which means
my blade is no longer extended) or else I have to cut through a
part of the victims anatomy.

Now suppose my sword hits the opponent with the middle part
of the blade in such a manner that it makes a cut into the victim
(not a slice).  In order to continue on to the next opponent, I have
to cut THROUGH the victim.  Now if I do a lot of damage, I can
see how that is possible.  But what if I don't do a lot of damage?
What does that mean?  Does that mean that we consider that
attack a slice and go on to the next opponent?  Or was it a cut
that didnt make it all the way through the victim?  I can see both
sides of the argument, I guess.

How about this:  A sweeping blow can be made at whatever DX
minuses you think applicable ( -4 against each target, as per
canon or Charles' progression scheme: -2, -4, -6 ).  Rather than
rolling separate damage rolls against each target however,
damage is rolled only once.   The attacking player makes all of
his to-hit rolls, noting which targets were hit.  If at least one target
is hit, he makes a single damage roll and allocates the damage
against each target that was hit as he desires.

Example:  Character A is making a sweeping blow attack against
3 goblins in his front hexes.  He has a DX of 12.  (for this example,
I'll be using the canon DX adjustments)   For his to-hit rolls, he rolls
a 10, a 7 and an 8.  Noting that he has hit at least one target, he then
rolls for damage, getting a 10.  Now he has to decide how to allocate
those 10 points.  He decides to allocate 5 points to each goblin. (or
any other combination totalling 10).

Any better?

Dan