Re: (TFT) Forge of Fury. --> Ricks comments.

John Hyland observed:

Goat herding and mushrooms only get you so far.

Quite true; I should have clarified that that would only be a supplementary food source. (And possibly other useful products. Wool? Leather?) Nice in that both cheese and mushrooms can command premium prices per volume, but the day-to-day fare is going to have to be bartered for, I believe.

rsmith replied:

	I am uneasy about having the chimney
coming out under the glacier.  A huge amount
of glacial till (crushed rock and soil) is
under the glacier.  This icy mud and boulders
would plug up any chimney in short order.
Also, the glacier would rip open any small
holes in short order.  (The moving ice, if
it can get a grip, can move huge rocks.  The
red rock in Australia was moved by a glacier
for example.)  Rocks would get wedged into
the hole, and as they are dragged away, they
would pull away the sides of the chimney.
Now bigger rocks can be forced in etc.

Yeah, where *is* the other half of Half Dome, anyway?

Good points, and ones I'd thought about only superficially.
My founding assumption was that glaciers move on a slow time-scale - say a few meters, or even tens of meters, per year. Slow enough that the chimney exhaust would melt ice away from the catch-basin rapidly enough that there was no problem with damage to the catch-basin or surrounding rock.

I had completely ignored the till problem. I think that would have to be solved by dwarves with fresh-air items (and an air lock or two) carrying the stuff out of the catch basin area as it gets melted free of the glacier.

	If you heat the bottom of a glacier,
it melts a bit and starts flowing quicker.

Uh-Oh. That could be a problem. I'd assumed the heat only affected the ice quite locally, so that the rigidity and drag of the ice all around is what supported the above-rock part of the chimney. As the glacier moved, the chimney would form a crevasse, eventually closing up some distance downstream. But if the heat spreads laterally, the whole glacier could surge forward. That could be bad.

Stan Suggested:

So you have water flowing in one direction and a constant air current in the
other direction.

Neat! Could do it without warm air, just by using pressure gradient (as in rsmith's post), if winds against either side of the range are consistent.