RE: (TFT) A Thought on the St Cost to Renew Spells

>First of all, I think that the casting wizard would have to allow the
subject
>to 'take over' the spell - if the wizard wanted to *end* the spell (rather
>than simply stop paying the St cost), then he should be able to do so. But
once
>the subject 'took over' the spell, the wizard would have no responsibility
for
>it (or power to stop it). It would be similar to a Control Person used on a
>summoned warrior.

	This is quite a powerful way to
spread the cost of spells around (making
wizards and magic even more powerful) so
I would put strong restrictions on this.

	The wizard losing control of the
spell is good, this means it behaves
like other spells.

>As for other requirements, some possibilities I've thought of:
>
>A. The subject should be able to do this with automatic success, if he
>himself knows the spell.

	Something this powerful should not
be done with automatic success.  It should
require a successful IQ roll, perhaps by
both wizards.

>B. If the subject doesn't know the spell, he might need to have some sort
of
>minor magic item allowing him to receive control of the spell.

	I would say that it should be wizards
only.  If you allow heroes with magic items
to do so, increase their IQ roll to transfer
the spell by AT LEAST one die.

>C. Or the subject might need to have an IQ score of at least the IQ
required
>for the spell. Or possibly a higher score, if the subject is a non-wizard
>(e.g. IQ equal to the spell's IQ if the subject is a wizard, or 4 points
higher
>than the spell's IQ if the subject is a non-wizard).

	Hmmm.  I still think wizards only...

>D. Or the subject might need to make an IQ roll to receive control of the
>spell.

	I would add more rolls to try to
minimize 'industrial disease' in magic.
Let us say that the casting wizard fails
his IQ roll.  The does not let go and
continues controlling the spell and paying
for it.
	If the target wizard blows his IQ
roll, he does not catch the spell and does
not pay for it.

	If the casting wizard fails his roll
but the catching wizard makes it BOTH pay
for the spell that turn.  The casting wizard
can try on subsequent turns to pass it off
again.

	This transfer should take an action
of course.

	The idea that both wizards end up paying
for the same spell for a couple turns
amuses me, and provides a penalty for people
who want to take advantage of this grand way
to spread around the cost for maintaining
spells.

	Rick
Any other ideas? Thoughts?

--