From: tft-owner@brainiac.com [mailto:tft-owner@brainiac.com]On Behalf Of
rgtraynor@comcast.net
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 7:31 AM
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: (TFT) Oil lantern consumption

<<Going by real-world lanterns, the 1 liter per hour oil consumption of
'book' lanterns is really high. It ought to be more like 1 liter per day.>>

It's more like one PINT per WEEK.

My family's had a permanent site in a summer campground for over forty
years,
where until relatively recently there was no electricity to the campsites.
Lighting for all those summer nights involved propane or glass-chimneyed oil
lanterns.  The oil lanterns had a capacity of about a half-pint of kerosene,
and burning a lantern well into the night hours (something less prevalent in
medieval farming communities) would require a refill a shade less often than
every two days.