Re: Hedge Wizards (was Re: (TFT) New way to improve characters.

In a message dated 9/18/2003 9:50:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
raito@raito.com writes:

> Somewhere in canon, it says that about 1 in 300 has the aptitude to be a
> wizard, and (I seem to recall) says that the percentage of wizard
> adventurers is rather high, because wizardry tends to that sort of thing.

"Perhaps 1 in 50 will hae some small ability with magic. Fewer than 1 in 300
will be true "wizards" within the meaning of the game." AW p 3

> But that doesn't mean that 1 in 300
> becomes a wizard. Perhaps there's no suitable mentor to apprentice to.
> Perhaps the local culture despises magic. Perhaps your father insists that
> you go into the family business. So the number of wizards is low.

Actually yes, 1 in 300 does become a wizard. It's the other 6 in 300 (1 in
50) who get sidetracked as you describe.

But even if the number of wizards is low, that won't reduce the demand for
magic items. Instead, the price will be bid up, and those rare wizards will
become rich(er). They can raise their prices and still find buyers.

If there aren't enough Light items to supply everyone who would buy them at
$500 each, then most people will burn lamp oil instead, true - but the few who
don't will pay top silver-dollar for the few Light items that are available.
Supply and demand isn't repealed just because people don't understand the
formal economics of it.

--
Erol K. Bayburt
ErolB1@aol.com