Re: (TFT) Oil lantern consumption

In a message dated 9/18/2003 9:31:35 AM Central Daylight Time,
rgtraynor@comcast.net writes:

> <<Going by real-world lanterns, the 1 liter per hour oil consumption of
> 'book' lanterns is really high. It ought to be more like 1 liter per day.>>
>
> It's more like one PINT per WEEK.
>
> My family's had a permanent site in a summer campground for over forty
> years,
> where until relatively recently there was no electricity to the campsites.
> Lighting for all those summer nights involved propane or glass-chimneyed oil
>
> lanterns.  The oil lanterns had a capacity of about a half-pint of kerosene,
>
> and burning a lantern well into the night hours (something less prevalent in
>
> medieval farming communities) would require a refill a shade less often than
>
> every two days.

My "1 liter per day" was based on burning the lantern 24 hours a day.

Your example involved a lantern burning maybe 2-4 hours a night - half a pint
every 2 nights = half a pint every 6 hours = 1 pint every 12 hours = 1
quart/liter every 24 hours.

I don't think our figures disagree.

--
Erol K. Bayburt