Re: (TFT) Shield rush in Melee

In a message dated 11/14/2003 11:11:48 AM Central Standard Time,
tbeard@tyler.net writes:

> 1. Roll to hit.
>
> 2. If you hit, you and your foe make opposed ST rolls. If you win, he falls
> down. He stays up if there's a tie or you lose. The GM may give modest ST
> benefits where appropriate, for things like having a lower center of
gravity
> than your foe. I'd give a dwarf +1 if he shield-rushes an elf, for
instance.

This is pretty close to what I've got in my current house rules, but instead
of two opposed St rolls, I have the attacker make a 3-die St roll with a -1
penalty for each point of St his target has above St 10 (e.g. -4 to shield-rush
a St 14 opponent). I find I prefer this style of St vs St (or Dx vs Dx, or IQ
vs IQ) to the GURPS style where both sides roll dice.

> Now, martial arts shield rushes can be either DX based (a foot sweep for
> instance) or ST based (a judo-style takedown, flip or throw). From personal
> experience, it can be a long day if you have to grapple and takedown
someone
> much bigger (or squattier) than you.

I allow martial arts based "shield rushes" too, but I don't allow a Dx roll
to substitute for the St roll. Instead, I have UC talents give St bonuses to
the roll.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow